• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tracking WIRELESS access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some access points have a status window that is accessible through it's web interface, and that will show you who is currently connected.

If yours does not, a firmware update may add that capability (some of the older DLink WAPs need a firmware update to show who is online).

If you're concerned with security, most linksys models offer MAC address filtering. I believe you could also limit your DHCP address scope to only allow 1 or 2 computers that you use. Other than that, I concur with the above replies.

ok so i turned off ssid broadcast and when i scan for ap's i still get one that says 100% signal but it shows no ssid

is that good?

so if someone scans for one in the area they will detect mine but they wont know the ssid so they cant connect?

btw im not talking about a hardcore hacker. im talking about a average person scanning for ap's from his house or from his psp.

Zatrix said:
btw im not talking about a hardcore hacker. im talking about a average person scanning for ap's from his house or from his psp.

Yep...that's good. It's a good first step towards security. For the average user, it's usually enough to deter, combine it wiith WEP, and you should be set....for the average user that is.

Slackfumasta said:
Just type in your WAPs IP address into your browser and look for something along the lines of 'Status', it should list anybody who is connected to your access point.

yup, type in 192.168.1.1 in ur browser (no username, just type in "admin" for the password), go to status tab, then go to Local Network then click DHCP Client Table

jcw122 said:
yup, type in 192.168.1.1 in ur browser (no username, just type in "admin" for the password), go to status tab, then go to Local Network then click DHCP Client Table

thnx

but that only works if they are currently connected

how can i see a list of everyone that has connected over the past few days or something?

I second airsnare. I used it for a while while I was sharing my bandwidth but I gave away my hotspot wireless router. But it did do a nice job of telling me whos connected.

i agree on airsnare. i have seen a few people pop onto my AP, i usually power cycle the router to disconenct them (its an orinoco outdoor router and i dont have the password thanks to the previous owner, and i can never get the recovery process to work)

one thing tho.. i use it on a comp on the wireless, not sure if that makes a difference.

WillysNut said:
If you're concerned with security, most linksys models offer MAC address filtering. I believe you could also limit your DHCP address scope to only allow 1 or 2 computers that you use. Other than that, I concur with the above replies.

Adjusting the DHCP server is not security at all, the person can just manually use any IP they want.

ssid broadcast is not security, it is just nice to not pollute your neighbors with another SSID.

mac filtering is good, but of course you can spoof mac addresses.

Wep is great, no normal person is going to stumble in.

WPA is better.

With regards to the OP, the only way would be to have access logging. You depending on your router you could see what mac ids have been connected.

Back