• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble finding Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I've been looking around for Gentle Typhoon fans off and on for the past few months.

Lately though it seems like they are getting difficult to find.

Last week I must have checked out 10-15 e-tailer websites, and all of them were completely out of stock on all Gentle Typhoon fans. Some companies had one or two models of the high speed line, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

I've been trying to find AP-15's or AP-00, or AP-45. Lately though it seems like no legitimate companies have any of these.

Looked around ebay, found one seller that had AP-15's, but was asking $50 per fan. That same seller is asking $60 per fan on AP-00's. Which seems just crazy to me, as they normally retail for $15-20 at most places.

Did Scythe have a production hault on GT fans? Or a discontinuation of the product line? Or is something else going on?

Anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

yup discontinued
Scythe is hoping that their Grand Flex will carry the torch
unfortunately, the GFs are not as good as they could be... they need a few minor revisions

I've been looking around for Gentle Typhoon fans off and on for the past few months.

Lately though it seems like they are getting difficult to find.

Last week I must have checked out 10-15 e-tailer websites, and all of them were completely out of stock on all Gentle Typhoon fans. Some companies had one or two models of the high speed line, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

I've been trying to find AP-15's or AP-00, or AP-45. Lately though it seems like no legitimate companies have any of these.

Looked around ebay, found one seller that had AP-15's, but was asking $50 per fan. That same seller is asking $60 per fan on AP-00's. Which seems just crazy to me, as they normally retail for $15-20 at most places.

Did Scythe have a production hault on GT fans? Or a discontinuation of the product line? Or is something else going on?

Anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Try Dazmode for the AP15 fans. I my memory is right they have allot in stock, though he won't be able to get more.

Try Dazmode for the AP15 fans. I my memory is right they have a lot in stock, though he won't be able to get more.

Hmm... Never heard of that company. Are they good/reputable?

Checked their site, saw they had around 280 AP-45's in stock. Which is crazy, because I haven't found a single company that had those in over six months. I don't know how I missed this one.

I bought some ap29's not too long ago. They are quieter than I expected, even at full speed. I have since modded them for pwm too.

AP-14's are in stock in a couple places as well still

If you can't find Gentle Typhoons you might consider Noise Blocker E-Loop B12-3 (2000rpm) B12-4 (2400rpm) or NB-Multiframe M12-P (2000rpm PWM). All three have same design.

Martin rated the B12-3 as good as AP-15 up to 500fpm / 1500rpm.
King of “MOST AIR THROUGH THE RADIATOR”
That would be a tie between the Gentle Typhoon AP-45 (2150) and the Noiseblocker E-loop B12-4 (2400RPM) model. I measure roughly 72hz(2160RPM) from the GT and about 77hz(2310RPM) coming from the NB. So despite the RPM advantage the GT is still producing the same air flow through the radiator which is a tribute to it’s very pronounced and curved PQ curve.

King of “BEST NOISE LEVEL/AIR FLOW THROUGH A RADIATOR”
The Gentle Typhoons retain their crown on this criteria and really shine at very high speeds, but that differentiation does drop off as speed decrease. The Noiseblockers e-loops also have an interesting noise quality and perform really well at speeds below about 1500RPM. At the 400FPM and 500FPM performance levels by ear I have a hard time telling the difference between the GTs and the Noiseblocker B12-3. The smoother noise quality of the Noiseblocker almost seems to make up the different in noise level. ...
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

Back