• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to decide between 6800k and 6850k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why in all that is holy would you buy a 6000 series CPU mobo for a fresh build? You can get a Z270 for the same cost and get a 7700k which will cost about $175 less than the 6850k and perform about 5% faster, not to mention support for newer tech that the 6000 series dont support. You can also overclock the 7700k to 4.6 - 4.7 Ghz with minimal effort and 4.8 - 4.9 with a bit of effort and some good cooling. CPUs are one of those things that dont usually make sense to buy older models because the newest models are always faster and almost always cheaper.

Why would you comment that he should buy a 4c processor when he specifically states he needs more cores for work processing? If you think that a 7700k is going to be faster in multi-threaded apps then you're dead wrong. Last time I checked, my old xeon in my server does much better at multi-threaded things than my 7700k @5ghz (also debunking your cheaper to buy the newest processor and they are faster argument, I only paid $250 for my 14c processor...).

OP - I say if you don't need the extra pci lanes get the 6800k as it will save you some money.

Why would you comment that he should buy a 4c processor when he specifically states he needs more cores for work processing? If you think that a 7700k is going to be faster in multi-threaded apps then you're dead wrong. Last time I checked, my old xeon in my server does much better at multi-threaded things than my 7700k @5ghz (also debunking your cheaper to buy the newest processor and they are faster argument, I only paid $250 for my 14c processor...).

OP - I say if you don't need the extra pci lanes get the 6800k as it will save you some money.

He said his main use for the computer is gaming, so I recommended the best processor for gaming. Why would I recommend something that does worse for gaming to support the secondary use of the computer? That's like saying that I want to build a gaming computer but I also plan to watch moves on it, and then someone responding by saying I should use the integrated graphics support since it supports movie watching fine.

He said his main use for the computer is gaming, so I recommended the best processor for gaming. Why would I recommend something that does worse for gaming to support the secondary use of the computer? That's like saying that I want to build a gaming computer but I also plan to watch moves on it, and then someone responding by saying I should use the integrated graphics support since it supports movie watching fine.
Actually, your example is terrible, and I'm pretty sure it's some kind of logic fallacy (knew I should've paid more attention in that class...). A better example would be virtual machines for testing/professional learning. Gaming and running a 'many VMs' setup have drastically different minimum requirements. Those requirements aren't necessarily exclusive, but the setups used in each case do require different things to hit the minimum requirements.

The problem with your example is that pretty much any computer can stream Netflix, and do it at 1080p. Steaming video doesn't add any additional requirements to the system, while needing heavy multithreading capability does. OP has already excluded the 7700k from his decision list....

^agreed. And funny seeing where fanboyism can lead.

Twisted logic, blindness, wrong advice on where to spend money...

Edit: I'd go Ryzen 1700/1700x. No noticeable difference in gaming, an 25 to 30% faster than a 68xx Intel on all cores use.

See my signature, I am an all Intel boy ATM, but maybe not for long... ;)

Last edited:

He said that 30% of his workload will be multi-threaded and therefore he excluded a 4c processor, that would be good enough on it's own to exclude a 7700k. The 0-5% difference in gaming will be overshadowed by the much better performance in multi-threaded applications.

Back