• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to decide between P4 and XP...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Caviman2201 said:
First of all, I know this is an Overclockers forum... I'm an overclocker myself but my friend (who's computer I'm building) is not. I know there were some experts in here who could better answer my FSB question than I could. Thats why I asked. If I bothered anyone because it was not an overclocking-based question, please accept my humble apology.

Secondly, to those who did answer my question, thanks.

Thirdly, it's going to be used MAINLY for gaming, web-browsing, and office apps. Probably not going to be doing video encoding or heavy multitasking. The A64 is an option as my friend has not actually bought anything just yet. I'll check prices for CPU/Mobo combos for the A64 and compare. I agree that the A64 would definatly trounce the P4 3.0 and 3.2 for that matter. One question, though, would putting an XP on a DUAL CHANNEL motherboard effectively quad-pump the RAM's speed?

And also, can one use just ANY identical pair of RAM sticks or are there special DUAL CHANNEL ram sticks?

Wow, gaming, web-browsing, and office apps. The three things a64's bejesus slap the p4 in. Why even consider anything else?? Lol. a643400+ if he's not overclocking.

I'd still say the coin toss is the best method of deciding between them. The real-world performance difference between them is so incredibly insignficant, you might as well.

Go for Athlon 64 3400+ or 3200+. They beat P4 at 3.4GHZ by 10%+ in gaming with same graphic card under 32bit. Once under 64bit, who knows how big the gap will be.

alright, guys... well I guess I'll see if I can convince him to shell out the extra dough for an A64... it does seem to be the best choice... thanks a bunch for the help

Caviman2201 said:
alright, guys... well I guess I'll see if I can convince him to shell out the extra dough for an A64... it does seem to be the best choice... thanks a bunch for the help

Athlon 64 chips don't cost that much, as P4 3.0 was one of your original choices.

You can get Athlon 64 3000+ for only $211, and 3200+ for $270 at newegg.com

those are still a bit pricey, especially seeing at the 3000+ is cut down (correct?).

but yea, if you aren't OC'ing, and your buddy can afford it, go a64.

Back