• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to pass my 1050Ti to Vista VM with 10 as host. Possible or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

Didn't see a VM section so I'm posting this here.

I have a Ryzen 3 1200, and an EVGA GTX 1050Ti. Trying to make a YouTube video where I try to game on Vista. I'm not comfortable dual booting my totally legit copy of Vista, and I REALLY don't want to install Linux, mostly due to lack of experience, so I'm looking to pass my 1050Ti through to a VM on Windows 10. Is there any way to do this? There was someone on Reddit (I know, credibility) saying Creator's Update was supposed to be bringing a lot of DDA features down from Server 2016, and that he actually got the PowerShell commands you would normally use in Server '16 to work remotely on Home Edition with CU, but he never clarified how far he got after getting in front of the machine. Any ideas?

I've never been able to get it gpu pass-through to work but I know there is a video from LTT that shows 7 gpus doing what you want with unRaid. The tutorials I have read for gpu pass through are too technically advanced for me, so if I were in your shoes I would have another look at dual boot. It's honestly not as hard as what gpu-passthrough seems to be. But I'm gonna subscribe to this thread in case anyone explains a super easy way to accomplish it :)

Why are you not comfortable dual booting? Easy breezy man.

Running games in a vm typically doesnt work well in the first place...

You better off just dual booting. To further your concerns just use another hard drive to boot Vista from. You can dual boot from 2 separate drives.

Even if you get pass-through working you will still be dealing with software... I assume a performance hit you will take using any pass-through feature from a VM.

Back