• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tully & TUSL2C... random crashes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morpheus

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior
OK.. so i am starting to work on the new system... 1584MHz runs OK, 1524 Stable... air cooled, nothing special so far--just slapped on a Glaciator HSF...

Running fine then BLAM! on restart it crashes when it hits the Win2K desktop--starts the POST again... runs this as a loop... I bumped the FSB all the way down to stock... same thing @ 1200... BIOS reads 37C on chip, 29C mobo... WTF?

Finally had to shut it down then bump the vcore to (1.525v) get it to POST @ stock... then it went right up to 1524 again, just fine... :eek: WTF??? :eek:

Specs: Asus TUSL2-C (1010 BIOS) | Celeron3 1.2GHZ | IBM 60GXP Deskstar | SB Live! Value | 3Com NIC | Cosair 256 MB PC150 C2 | Enermax 551W | Radeon 64Mb DDR VIVO

Morpheus said:
OK.. so i am starting to work on the new system... 1584MHz runs OK, 1524 Stable... air cooled, nothing special so far--just slapped on a Glaciator HSF...

Running fine then BLAM! on restart it crashes when it hits the Win2K desktop--starts the POST again... runs this as a loop... I bumped the FSB all the way down to stock... same thing @ 1200... BIOS reads 37C on chip, 29C mobo... WTF?

Finally had to shut it down then bump the vcore to (1.525v) get it to POST @ stock... then it went right up to 1524 again, just fine... :eek: WTF??? :eek:

Specs: Asus TUSL2-C (1010 BIOS) | Celeron3 1.2GHZ | IBM 60GXP Deskstar | SB Live! Value | 3Com NIC | Cosair 256 MB PC150 C2 | Enermax 551W | Radeon 64Mb DDR VIVO

Odd indeed. You shouldn't need more than 1.475v to get it to go at stock hurtz. Not sure what you could do here. No clue at all.

thats odd, I wonder if you threw something out of whack in the system that caused windows to trip over. The posting at Stock is really really weird. Your temps sound fine, but I would try remounting your heatsink.

OK... so I started this up this a.m.... it ran through its "loop" 3 times then booted @ 1200/1.425V.. restarted her & she went to 1488/1.575V... (41C full load)... no problem...

I think I need to completely troubleshoot this system.. cables, connectors, PCI cards and the LOT.. I am working with all new components, so I will evaluate them one at a time.. :( Maybe I can find a lose/intermittent connection..?? :(

I need stability!!!! (use my ST6, yes?)

Seems odd to me that the chip will boot@132, but not @133.. (that would make life a lot easier on my PCI bus...) ;)

Anybody got an inside scoop on BIOS 1011 (beta at Asus Germany)??

Morpheus said:
OK... so I started this up this a.m.... it ran through its "loop" 3 times then booted @ 1200/1.425V.. restarted her & she went to 1488/1.575V... (41C full load)... no problem...

I think I need to completely troubleshoot this system.. cables, connectors, PCI cards and the LOT.. I am working with all new components, so I will evaluate them one at a time.. :( Maybe I can find a lose/intermittent connection..?? :(

I need stability!!!! (use my ST6, yes?)

Seems odd to me that the chip will boot@132, but not @133.. (that would make life a lot easier on my PCI bus...) ;)

Anybody got an inside scoop on BIOS 1011 (beta at Asus Germany)??

Haha that is how my old celery was. It was stable at 133 but not 134fsb which the TUSL2 required otherwise the PCI was out of spec. This is where the ST6 came into play as the better MOBO. It allowed me to run the fsb at 133(set to 132 in the bios) and in windows it really is 133fsb according to wcpuid and others.

Have you not noticed yet that the TUSL2 when running a 133MHz bus set in the bios upon booting windows it really is 134?????? That is one reason I didn't like the TUSL2. If you have a chip right on the edge like that the tusl2 screws you over. Softmenu is the original and the best still IMHO although the new GB board seems pretty decent too.

If you got a ST6 I would throw that chip in that board and through the philli chip in the TUSL2. Then you would probably have two 1.6GHz systems about at least. You may have to run the malay chip at like 1580MHz but big deal at least your PCI would still be in spec at around 32~33MHz.

think you're 100% on this one ol' man... EXACTLY what i'm going to do...

So, for my "main" rig, you think I should run the Philli/TUSL2-C or the Malay/ST6?

I do realize this will somewhat answer itself if either combo performs significantly below expectations... but i would not chose 1.6 over 1.58 if stability were sacraficed in the least...

Morpheus said:
think you're 100% on this one ol' man... EXACTLY what i'm going to do...

So, for my "main" rig, you think I should run the Philli/TUSL2-C or the Malay/ST6?

I do realize this will somewhat answer itself if either combo performs significantly below expectations... but i would not chose 1.6 over 1.58 if stability were sacraficed in the least...

Hmmmm, this is interesting. You have two celery's and two diff mobo's, the st6 and tusl2. You should have your own forum also with all that equipment there. You going to run one as a server or something? If you run the philli chip in the tusl2 I would try and run the I/O at 3.3-3.4v if you can as I said above. It may help stability. I noticed my BD100+ became unstable around 3.5v on the I/O and I think the tusl2 runs 3.5v as default but you can run it down a notch via a jumper. I am not saying this will do anything for you but it may save some heat as the chipset and vid card may not get as hot!!!!!!!! Hope that makes sence! It will save some juice for your cpu too if you are running a 300w.

Personally I think the TUSL2 could be as stable as the st6 rig if cooling is good. Your choice man I was scared for awhile that the TUSL2 had the vtt voltages out of whack but it seems they are just not reported right in sandra.

Although it would be interesting to know which board is more stable at higher speeds(134+FSB) if you are feeling experimental.

got it...

radeon 7500 64Mb DDR <== sucks (the card, not the product line ;) )

is responsible for the crashes... POSTed @ 1.6ghz w/ my old TNT2 Pure... :D

Update...

Wanna be surprised???

ATI Radeon works fine... the drivers SUCK... all those problems because of a driver DESIGNED for win2k... Yeah right.... :rolleyes:

Oh well.... onward & upward :D

Congrats old friend, nice to see some good fortune with a new setup. Glad to see you got it all working properly.

J

Sweet so maybe you would possibly want to give up that OEM chip for a decent price?

ol' man said:

Have you not noticed yet that the TUSL2 when running a 133MHz bus set in the bios upon booting windows it really is 134?????? That is one reason I didn't like the TUSL2. If you have a chip right on the edge like that the tusl2 screws you over. Softmenu is the original and the best still IMHO although the new GB board seems pretty decent too.

Actually, my Abit SA6-R with SoftMenu III does that exact same thing. I have it set at 150 in the BIOS but with Sandra and WCPUID it is 151 something. Just an interesting but of trivia... I'd still go with the Abit anyday because most of the things I've heard about the TUSL2 aren't good.

jazztrumpet216 said:

Actually, my Abit SA6-R with SoftMenu III does that exact same thing. I have it set at 150 in the BIOS but with Sandra and WCPUID it is 151 something. Just an interesting but of trivia... I'd still go with the Abit anyday because most of the things I've heard about the TUSL2 aren't good.

Myt ST6 does the same thing but at least I have 1/4 dividers under 134fsb, right;)

Back