• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tygon - What am I doing wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How flexible would you say that Tygon braided tubing is? The bend radius on their spec sheet looks good, but is it much stiffer than the regular Tygon stuff?

xcuriousgeorge said:
How flexible would you say that Tygon braided tubing is? The bend radius on their spec sheet looks good, but is it much stiffer than the regular Tygon stuff?

Ive never handled tygon braided tubing but Ive used the normal pvc braided tubing. Its very very stiff. Basically three layers. One pvc tubing, then braiding, then more tubing sandwiching the braiding. Bend raidus wasnt good on the 3/4 od 1/2 ID crappy stuff I got from home depot. Its very very hard to bend this stuff. Close to impossible to kink. its a bad idea for most of us since trying to force it to bend around in a case for NB and VGA blocks will probably rip the blocks right out of whatever mounting. Namely the NB blocks. It will put a lot of stress on your blocks.

Course Ive never seen the tygon stuff. Maybe its not bad...

The bend radius is 2 1/8" (for the stuff you would use) meaning it will form a bend between components 4.25 inches apart.

A better choice would be the Tygon R-3603, it has a bend radius of 1.5" (1/2" ID 3/4" OD) R-3603 is the type of Tygon most commonly used in water cooling setups.

The 1/2" ID 5/8" OD stuff you originally purchased has a bend radius of 2 7/8". The braided tygon wouldn't be that much of an improvment. Braided hose is really meant to handle very high pressure.

Thanks for your advise guys. I would look at purchasing 7/16 alternative stuff if I hadn't blown $80 on complete crap. Is there somewhere who sells this stuff online for overseas customers?

What is completely misleading is the 1/8" wall thickness FrozenCPU advise. I have a webpage screen capture of the tygon tubing I purhcased from them and it mentions nowhere 1/16". They have modified their webpage after I have purchased this stuff trying to cover their tracks.

Andrew

Jas said:
A better choice would be the Tygon R-3603, it has a bend radius of 1.5" (1/2" ID 3/4" OD) R-3603 is the type of Tygon most commonly used in water cooling setups.

According to www.mcmaster.com on page 85 Tygon R-3603 at 1/2" ID 3/4" OD has a bend radius of 1.5" but why not use the Masterkleer on page 82, apparently you don't get the possibility of staining and it has a bend radius just 0.25" greater than tygon but much cheaper.

Cap

had this problem with my xeons , connecting the waterblock cpu 1 to the waterblock cpu 2 . it flattened out , what i did was add a hose clamp to that section. this allowed tubeing strength at the bend so it would kink

Jen

frozencpu sells crap tygon, they say itys 3603 but first i got some cheap crap not even tygon then i got after complaining got some cheap thin wall tygon but not 3603 like they advertise. you need the good thick tygon sorry about your loss

it IS true tygon, just terrible thin 1/16" walled stuff, which is still tygon, but doesn't have anywhere near the anti-kink properties or bend-radius or 1/8" walled tygon

the easiest way for me to get rid of kinks is to get an elbow, they work the easiest and i got some on my gfx card because i no for a fact that if i didnt have them then i would have the same prob as you, then with the elbow, you can attach from the cpu to the gfx with no probs! :)

capneedle said:
According to www.mcmaster.com on page 85 Tygon R-3603 at 1/2" ID 3/4" OD has a bend radius of 1.5" but why not use the Masterkleer on page 82, apparently you don't get the possibility of staining and it has a bend radius just 0.25" greater than tygon but much cheaper.

Cap

Masterkleer is a very good tubing. Its a General purpos tubing, very suitabel for water cooling. It does react with more chemicals than the chemical rated pvc tubing like Tygon or Clearflex 60. Its also pretty stiff, but at $0.59 a foot its a bargain.

bigben2k said:
I've used a u-tube from usplastics.com for another application; it's a vinyl tube that's pre-bent into a U shape.

yes, i have used the blue wYe's from there...VERY handy stuff!

LINK

pic of "U" ... might come in handy when jumpng from card to card in that SLI setup ;)

Attachments

• 25301p.jpeg
    25301p.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Yep, that's the one.

It still a bit flexible, but the shape will remain, even after a dunk in boiling water.

if you got it frozencpu, you go the incorrect kind, that happend to me. what they did is they took the measurements wrong.

what you need to look for is the 1/2" tubing with the 3/4" Outside diameter.

Back