• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to get bios to come up on first boot of newley built pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nelfy66

I just purchased a new barebones kit pc from tiger direct. got everything installed and dont, but when is start my pc up nothing happens.

AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail

Patriot PG34G1333EL Gamer 2 Desktop Memory Module - 4GB, PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready

ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 990X Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, CrossFireX/SLI Ready

XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), 2x DVI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, CrossFireX Ready

no bios or anything is coming up, this is my firs ttime building a computer and im completely lost.

Do you have another am3 CPU? If so then put that in the MB and see if it posts, if it does then update the bios to the latest one and put the FX cpu back in it and it should work.
If you don't have a am3 cpu see if you can borrow one.

Go over all your connections you might have missed something or something isn't completely plugged in. Also reseat your ram while you are at it. You Should have ....

4 or 8 wire Motherboard Plug top.
24 pin Motherboard side.
1 or 2 6 pin Plugs on your video Card.

Make sure your ram and CPU is propperly seated. It's not hard to miss a plug once in a while when re routing wires ..... been there and done it myself.

everything is plugged in fine and i do not have another cpu. But the graphics card i listed i am not currently using. I had that in but my power supply did not hold it so i took it out and put in a **** card which is like a radeon 1350x pro that i got like 6 years ago and my new power supply will be in tuesday for the new card. When i turn on my pc nothing comes up at all.

I dont get any beeps either from my mobo on the start and ive taken out the ram and tried one at a time placed at the recommended slots. Than ive completely stripped it and replaced everything back in but nothing. If i cant figure it out than ill probably wait till tuesday and try my new card and power supply, but until than if any advice or troubleshoot options could be tried than that would be great

Do fans or any leds on the mobo light up when you push the start button? Actually are there any leds lit on the mobo at all with the power supply on and plugged up to the mobo?

All the fans are working. And the led's are going on the mobo. I think I'm going to wait till tomorrow and replying everything in with my new power supply and graphics card and hopefully it will start up correctly and if not I'll just repost it

It's very common for ASUS's AM3+ MB to not post when using a AMD FX CPU unless you have the latest bios loaded, but they do work with "older" AM3 CPU's.
That is why I suggested putting a different cpu in it.

1350x pro is pci card not pcie right? the board default bios are likely set for pcie card, also your current psu has 24pin and 8pin pwr connectors that plug into mobo correct? im only asking because you said that it cant power 6850, most psu's that have 8pin connector should easily power 6850

the 6850 needs 2 6 pin connectors to power it, and the 1350x is a PCI E, and the 8 pin is correct for the cpu and the 24 goes to the mobo fine.

It's very common for ASUS's AM3+ MB to not post when using a AMD FX CPU unless you have the latest bios loaded, but they do work with "older" AM3 CPU's.
That is why I suggested putting a different cpu in it.

well it all came in a barebones kit other than the card, and from the comments it looks like no one had a problem getting it all running. So its all compatible.

Thanks for the advice guys. Put in the new g card n power apply and it runs great

Back