• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undervolting & Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtdewcowboy

Is there any harm in dropping the Vcore to help with temps as long as it is stable?
Say a FX8320 running at 1.45v @ 3.8Ghz down to say 1.35v
I am getting a new heatsink/fan cause stock one does not work very well even at stock speeds in Prime95
Till it arrives would dropping the Vcore alittle help?

Attachments

• hwm.PNG
    hwm.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
It will not harm anything and should help a little with temps, sure!

That said, I only see a peak of 40C... that isnt bad, but the real question is what are the temperatures under LOAD?

Yeah I uploaded the wrong pic
I can run Prime95 for 5 mins & hit 65c
I am wondering if the heatsink is making good contact
My temps seem alot higher than most using the stock fan setup

Push down firmly on the heatsink, if the temps drop significantly, then its likely not making good contact.

Its tough to compare other people's temperatures as they have different cases, airflow, ambient temperatures, etc. But that does seem a bit warm regardless.

As you can see my MB temps are 26c & I have 4 120mm & 1 140mm fans intake & exhaust
I did use the factory applied thermo paste cause I was going to change out the cooler when I started to overclock but hell 65c in 5 mins?
Gaming for 4 hours temps only get to 50c

Its a stress testing application, that is what it does. It is usually 10C or so higher than gaming. With such a powerful CPU, you arent running it at 100% constantly like in a stress test.

1.45 seems like a lot of V Core for stock clocks, I'm able to do 1.40-1.42 w llc at 4.7 I know every one is different and yours is an 8320, just seems high to me.

Ok I pulled the stock fan off & re seated with As7
It runs alittle cooler
The Vcore is high cause everything is in auto & is overclocking to 3.8
I am still trying to figure out how to get it to stock clocks but there are a lot of auto settings in the bios.
Can't wait for the new heatsink to arrive & end this
I know in everyday use I can run it in auto @ 3.8 & be fine but what is the fun in that

Back