• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap - Has anyone ever got this error in any version of Windows ? I installed Malwarebytes (from their own website) and I got a reboot loop. Sometimes it got to Windows and gave this error and restarted, others restarted while loading. Took ~20 tries to stabilize and boot normally again but now I don't have any text beneath icons on desktop and left pane in explorer.

Malwarebytes and AVG are running normally now and I'm virus/malware free supposedly. Could it be that it clashed against other programs I might have had in the background ? I had Process Lasso, Daemon Tools, HwInfo64 and whatever essential services Windows 8.1 has.

I was going to do a fresh install but wanted to know if anyone knows about this or has a "quick fix" before-hand 😊

Running them both as a simul, if that's the case, would be the same as running two AV type programs: A big no-no.

I only use Malarbytes (free) manually from time-to-time.

Sounds like the Malwarebytes Chameleon driver is running interference/being interfered with another 3rd party driver, no so uncommon, same for many other security drivers.

I only installed Malwarebytes at the time, only when the system stopped looping that I ran a scan, come out clean, uninstalled, installed AVG, ran a scan and came out clean again. So Malwarebytes started conflicting with some other program or was corrupted somehow... weird. Google-fu says this happens in Windows 10 and something similar in Windows 7 but I couldn't find anything for Windows 8.1.

Well this is going in the oddity section, already made a clean Windows install and its running perfectly normal now.

Back