• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlock P-III Slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RPM_Computing

Hello all,

As I recall, there is a way to unlock the now old P-II's multi by blocking a few of the gold teeth and was wondering if the same applies for the P-III slot cpu?

I had a Celeron 300a which I had unlocked successfully, but do not remember the pins to block.

I currently have my P-III 550 running at 733 with a 133 fsb but the mobo has a limited bios and will not let me go past 133, hence the need to unlock the multi's.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

TIA

Rick.

Use the search :) This has been discussed millions of times back in the good old days.

No, it's IMPOSSIBLE To unlock a P3.
But it was possible to force FSB detection by taping pins.

The P2 trick was something about a BSEL high/low or something, that tricked the motherboard (or CPU?) into thinking it was on a 100 FSB instead of 66 FSB, which *MIGHT* have lowered the multiplier. The Abit motherboards allowed this through BIOS. This would force the P2 (i think the P2 400 was the main one here but it MIGHT have been a P2-333) to run at 100x4, instead of 66x6. Thus you had a 100 FSB, with the 1/3 PCI divider and all the memory bandwidth improvements.

I could be totally wrong here--perhaps the P2-400 USED a 100 FSB natively.
and the P2-333 (66x5) could be bumped up to 100x4 with that trick. (Abit BSEL high/low (whatever it was called), or tape on a couple of cpu tabs.

It was one of these two.

Back