• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking Phenom II X2 550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BulimicCannibal

I understand how to unlock additional cores on my processor but what I would like to know is how likely is it that I would have to open up my PC to reset the bios? I'm fairly comfortable with messing with hardware components but it doesn't make it any less annoying for me and I think whether or not it's likely that I'd have to open up my computer will influence my decision.

It's easy to reset the CMOS if you need to. Its just a matter of moving a jumper between three pins on your motherboard. I think its worth the chance.

You will so need to find out if your Athlon is the regor version or not as most Athlon 250 x2s are if it is a regor then I'm afraid you can't unlock any cores as Intel don't make the Athlon 250 x2 with any extra cores :(

You will so need to find out if your Athlon is the regor version or not as most Athlon 250 x2s are if it is a regor then I'm afraid you can't unlock any cores as Intel don't make the Athlon 250 x2 with any extra cores :(

He has a phenom ii 550 "Deneb" not a Athlon ! and there's a good chance it will unlock, I would say 50/50 and its definately worth a CMOS reset if it does not unlock, good luck :thup:

Edit: if you have a newer board, some of them have a reset button on the io plate where all your USB/keyboard/Ethernet connections are and then you wouldn't even have to open you're case up

If you will be annoyed with opening up your computer then I certainly would not try and unlock any hidden cores; because there is at least a 50/50 chance the cores will not unlock and then you would be annoyed to have to open the case to clear the CMOS to return the motherboard and cpu to locked status.

He has a phenom ii 550 "Deneb" not a Athlon ! and there's a good chance it will unlock, I would say 50/50 and its definately worth a CMOS reset if it does not unlock, good luck

Ah my bad keny haha i didnt read it fully yea after doing a bit of research on the phenom II 550 deneb it seems in most cases there is potentially to unlock cores so I would go ahead and give it a try :) if your getting more bang for your buck then why not right? obviously however take precaution when doing so haha

Back