• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Update build for Mom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Hello Folks:

I'm in the process of upgrading my Moms computer. The rig was built in 2006. She goes on it to check email, her bank account, maybe play a few games, and Youtube. When I visit, I like to go on there and would like some horse power when I do use it. But that is far from important. The cost is. I've attached the parts from Newegg I want to use. Am I over doing it? Can I cut cost anywhere? As always thanks for the help guys/gals.

cOMP pARTS 11-6-14.jpg

More than she needs, probably (except video card) all you need.
Pentium 3258G would be fine for her (I built Pentium G860 web browsers).
Which Games determine video strength needed.

You could save around $100 if your would go with one of the higher end AMD APUs instead of that Intel CPU. It would give you a definite increase in "horsepower" and have enough GPU power to play a lot of games at reasonable frame rates, even without a discrete video card. AMD's APUs have less CPU power but more GPU power than Intel's offerings at this point in time.

Last edited:
Your mothers usage model would be well served by an A4-5000 BGA integrated on a mobo for $50-60. Seriously, don't waste money on this build. I do everything your mother does on AMD's cheapest APU and it's fine.

If you've already ordered the parts I think your mom is going to be very happy with the upgraded performance, you too :thup:

Just noticed-- you went with an 8400 GS? That card is from 2007 dude. 7 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if the onboard graphics on the Pentium were better than that card. Not surprised at all. What possessed you to buy such an ancient card?

Back