• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating bios ASUS Z390 Maximus hero help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blemish31

Hi. I’m currently using a 9900k on bios 0805. I can get almost a free update to a 9900KS. Do I need to update to the latest bios?

I’m asking because the risk involved updating the bios, like everyone says “if working don’t touch it”

Thanks for the advice

That one got support for 9900KF. from what I read if I have stepping R0 support it should work, but the bios that got support for KS was the 1302.

I don’t want to update if not totally necessary.

Well the only way to be certain you need the update is to swap out CPU's to the 9900KS. If your board doesn't boot with the new chip, then you'll know you need to update.

Someone in reddit told me that it’s better to risk the board and better update. You think the processor it’s in risk without the proper bios?

Nothing will happen to the board or the chip. Only thing that will happen is the board will boot up with the 9900KS or it will not. If you have a motherboard speaker it will beep. Trust me, you'll be fine.

This one have a CODE little screen.

I search a lot I don’t find anyone with this same question haha :(

Well I will try the KS when it arrives. And update if it doesn’t work. Thanks a lot.

That's the best way to be sure. Also bear in mind on some motherboards when you update to the new bios, you will not be able to flash back (reverse) to the old bios. Unsure if that pertains to the newer motherboards. With my board (see sig), I can update the bios and I can go back to the old bios.

If I were you I would download the new bios (1302) and have it ready on a flash drive so it'll make your job of flashing to it easier. Good luck and keep us posted!

Yeah I will do that. Let’s hope all works correctly. Thanks a lot for answering

There are third party utilities available that allow you to roll back the bios of motherboards that won't let you roll back with the manufacturers supplied bios tools. I can't say if such things are available for all motherboards but I have done this on the board in my Sig. As I recall, it involves replacing the UEFI partition with a modified version containing the older code. It worked perfectly for me.

No sweat. :thup:

I ordered an ASUS Maximus formula xi from Newegg (open box) and they send a refurbished one with the oled panel broken ::( the ks works well in Bios 1005 but now I don’t know what to do.

Do I get a refund or make a RMA with ASUS to get it working again. ( the board came with to many scratches in the shield)

Open box doesn't mean broken. It means it's supposedly been tested and passed as a properly working motherboard. Openbox can mean, however, that some original accessories that came with the board might be missing such as the Driver/Utlity CD, and SATA cables. If there are broken essential components, such as you describe, you should request an RMA and either a refund or a replacement.

Already got a refund. Bad experience with Newegg open box, never again. Waiting for the new board and play again with the KS

I've purchased open box motherboards from Egg on several occasions and never had a bad experience. But there is a bit of a pig in a poke element to it.

I've purchased open box motherboards from Egg on several occasions and never had a bad experience. But there is a bit of a pig in a poke element to it.

Agreed. I've bought tons of refurbished/open box parts from the egg and only 1 was a failure. You take a chance when purchasing open box items. I've had great success, but there's always that one. Don't let that deter you from buying open box.

Finally I have all ready. I’m testing in a new z390 ASUS Maximus hero. It came with the latest bios so I’m goood. Initially testing the 9900ks it run at 1.23 vcore 5.0ghz cinebench stable.

I’m testing with an old h100 ( my pc have a high end custom water cooling system) I tried 5.1 at 1.3 it pass but with thermal throttling.

My actual 9900k does 5.0ghz at 1.35 not fully stable. (But gaming stable)

I think I have a good reason to keep this 9900ks.

Last edited:
I would think the 9900KS not having an IGP will allow it to run stable on lesser voltage than the 9900k at the same speed.

Back