• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade cpu in a laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a66gt40

Registered
I have a HP G7 1077nr, serial number is cnf11913yx, product number is lf166ua#aba. It has an Intel Pentium P6200 and I would like to upgrade it as cheaply as possible but I am not sure if the little manual from

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp? lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02782012&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

is giving me a list of compatible CPU's or if it just shows what that particular model possibly could come out with. I would like to go with this one which is only around 50 dollars.
Intel Core i5-480M 2.66-GHz
because the others are way more expensive and unless I am stupid I cannot see that much of a difference between them and all of them would be a lot better than what I have, I think anyway lol.
Intel Core i7-2620M 2.70-GHz $175
Intel Core i5-2540M 2.60-GHz $110
If anyone can help I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,
Tim

You may have to flash or modify the BIOS, some laptops have BIOS's written specifically to only let a certain CPU work in that laptop. Otherwise, as long as the sockets are the same and the CPU doesn't generate too much more heat, the new CPU should work just fine in the laptop.

^This, and will the PSU handle the new CPU wattage? And finally, is the cooling good enough?

Usually when upgrading to new Ggeneration, answer to the 2 last question is OK, as wattage goes doan, and so do the generated heat.

I don't have any direct experience upgrading a laptop.

Look at your options.

If you choose the upgrade route, make sure your BIOS supports the new CPU ... and this may be difficult since the BIOS is locked down. I had an old HP desktop that where I replaced it the old P4 with a new P4 with hyperthreading. While the new CPU worked, multiplier was lock so my new CPU was running at about 1 ghz instead of 2.4 ghz.

Seriously consider a new laptop since upgrading is limited. If you're tech savvy, right now, you can get a i5-3210m for $300 - $400 on eBay, Best Buy, etc. I picked up a i7-3610QM for $500 but it needs the CPU thermal paste replaced. Stick with the 3rd generation intel CPUs since they have better graphics than the 2ng gen (This is my opinion).

Finally, if you surf the web, email, facebook, etc ... and no 3d games, your laptop or any new laptop that you buy will be fine.

It's extremely rare to be able to move forward a generation in CPUs in a laptop.
Even more so if it's a Core I generation, and definitely not from first gen (Core iWhatever with a 3 digit code) to second gen (4 digit code).

Thanks for all the good feedback I really appreciate it. Probably just buy an i7 and be done with it.

Back