• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from Ryzen 5 3500 for gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lmastleyjapan

Hi there

Please forgive me. I did try researching myself, but maybe IÂ’m just not computer literate. I donÂ’t really get it.

IÂ’m rocking a ryzen 5 3500, with a rtx 3070, 16gb ram and a 144hz 1440p monitor. After doing some tests with msi afterburner stats overlay, I think I may want to upgrade my CPU if I want to make use of my new 144hz monitor, but I canÂ’t for the life of me figure out what a decent upgrade from this CPU would actually be. I primarily play games like battlefield and they tend to hit my cpu hard past 60 fps.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Your only choice, if you're staing on that platform, is the 5000 series. I'd grab a 5800X. More cores/threads and better CPU. Otherwise, your best bet is to get into Intel's new Alder Lake-based systems. But you'd need a new motherboard.

What is the make and model of your motherboard? What is the speed of your RAM?

https://www.game-debate.com/news/25...ttlefield-v-pc-performance-bf5-cpu-benchmarks

This article is a little dated but:

"The first thing that should be mentioned is that Battlefield V will chew up everything you throw at it. It's utilising 100% of the CPU in practically every benchmark test, aside from in 6 Cores / 12 Threads where there are a few percentage points of headroom. Battlefield 5 is unrelenting on this front, which could be problematic if you want to run a few other programs alongside BFV.

Aside from that though, we can see core count doesn't begin to affect Battlefield V's PC performance until we drop below quad-core with multithreading. Anyone with a 4 Core/8 Thread CPU is unlikely to see Battlefield V's performance bottlenecked by their CPU."

You would probably see a modest improvement by going to a 3600X. Your current CPU only has 6 threads. If you have a 5xx series motherboard, the 5600X would give you even a little more boost.

Back