• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade from win7 to 10 advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I just clicked the thingy to upgrade my little apu rig to win10.
what is the best way to go about the upgrade itself?
what about drivers, chipset, gpu, usb 3.0 and such?
it's just a basic rig,
a8-6600 cpu, asrock extreme 6 board, 280x gpu, ssd for boot and 2 spinners for storage. I will be thankful for any advice to smooth what is normally not a smooth change over, I'm an old fuddy duddy that does not like change.

CD I just switched a week or so ago. I clicked the little "thingy" and am waiting on my approval for the upgrade. In the mean time I downloaded Win 10 from Microsoft and burned it to a DVD then installed it. I did it a little unconventionally though, I had Win 7 on my daily rig but it was an Enterprise version for work which cannot be upgraded for free. So I bought a new copy of win 7 when it was on sale and am dual booting the new copy of 7 and Win 10 on a new SSD 250g Sammy 850 Evo. The original SSD with Win 7 Enterprise on it only had the os on it, I keep all my downloads, documents, pictures, programs etc on a pair of 1tb spinners. So I didn't need to backup anything all I did was partition the SSD and then installed Win 7 on one partition and Win 10 on the other. Then installed all the drivers and such. I'm still waitiing on the approval of the free upgrade from Microsoft so for now the Win 10 is not activated.

It should find most things.

That said, like every other os install, just go to the board's website and DL the drivers for it. Get gpu drivers from AMD or nvidia. Voila.

for my 280x and 7850 cards I find that I prefer to use drivers in the upper 13's, 13.9 and 13.12, will these be fine or do I need to go to the later drivers?
for my 770 and 760's I prefer lower than driver 340, will I need to go to later drivers for these?
I have read in a few posts that it is better to do the upgrade, then fresh install once the key becomes a 10 key, is this true?

Well, w10 wasn't around then, so no idea if it will work properly. Get w10 drivers for w10... amd/nvidia.

A fresh install is generally regarded as better, yes. If you want to do that is up to you.

the product key,
this machine is using a clone of my full blote win7 benching image, heaven knows what the key is or even if I have it around any more, I put in the key, but this is the first time that this copy has ever been so much as connected to the internet.
will 10 find the key on it's own?
will I need the key ever again?
can I recover the key some how?

if win 7 is activated, then win 10 should have no issue activating, dont need to use a key during win 10 install.
can find product key with Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder, if you so wish to know what the win7 key used was, but not necessary for upgrading to win10

Back