• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to C2D: Looking for advice on CPU and memory selection.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tuniq Tower 53 dollar after shipping at newegg (I got mine for 40.. .so thats half the cost of a TRUE with very little differnce in Quad core cooling performance)

Very little difference in quad cooling? I second that. Once the tdp is high, the difference gets larger or am I wrong?

Yeah for the price right now I wouldn't buy anything less than a Quad. More and more programs are taking advantage of more than 2 cores. My Quad core machine kicks the snot out of my C2D machine when running apps like 3DS Max and PhotoShop/Illustrator.

Very little difference in quad cooling? I second that. Once the tdp is high, the difference gets larger or am I wrong?

I should have put "even with quad cooling" in there. There was no differnce between the tuniq and the TRUE in the review I read, and only when cooling an overclocker Q6600 was there a temp differnce ;)

No problem. I couldn't pass up the Abit board for $60 after reading so many good things about it!

So far I'm up to 3.2 GHz (356x9) with CPU-Z showing a core voltage of 1.256V. Core Temp is showing mid-to-high 50s for temps under full load. I think I'll let the torture test run overnight before proceeding any further.

I see from you sig you are up to 3.4.... hows your temps going?

Maybe if you feel so inclined you could review your cooler vs the stock cooler unless you bought an OEM....

I see from you sig you are up to 3.4.... hows your temps going?

Maybe if you feel so inclined you could review your cooler vs the stock cooler unless you bought an OEM....
Load temps max out around 63C on two of the cores according to Core Temp (60C according to Real Temp) for brief periods when blend testing in Prime (4 threads). I'm only at ~1.31VCore (even less when under load), so those temps seem a bit high to me. When I touch the heatsink, it only feels slightly warmer than ambient, so I'm wondering if I have poor contact between the heatsink and IHS. However, I really hated applying pressure to those pushpins to mount the heatsink (felt like I was bending the mobo), so I'll probably just leave it alone. A 3.4 GHz quad is nothing to sneeze at, and I've never been one to push the limits of expensive hardware!

Back