• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrades on the way, Performance gain?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

91XRT

Registered
Just ordered me a Ryzen 7 1700, Dominator platinum 3200mhz ram (2x 8g sticks), Aorus X370 gaming k5 motherboard, and a 500gig 960evo m.2 nvme ssd.

To start with, my current setup is the following -
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990fx Gen3 R2.0 The Ultimate Force (TUF) Series
CPU- AMD FX 8350 4.42ghz 8 core
Ram - 16gig (2x 8gig) Gskill Ripjaws X series, 1866mhz oc
GPU - Radeon R9 290x (5% wattman oc / 1435mhz memory oc.
SSD - Samsung 840 pro sata ssd
PSU - Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w
Case - Coolermaster HAF X

Note! i will be maintaining use of my 290x, havnt decided on a gpu upgrade yet.

What performance gains am i likely to see? I ran every benchmark i have on my pc last night and recorded all the results so i can see the gains. But im too antsy waiting for it to come in so i feel the need to talk about it. Im the same with parts for my guns or muscle cars hah.

My long list of benchmarks (disregard the Zen lines under each bench as i just copy and pasted this from my log im making for a before/after type thing)

Cinebench R15
FX cpu- 710
FX OpenGL- 83.37 fps

Zen CPU-
Zen OpenGL-

UserBenchmark
FX Gaming- 65%
FX Desktop-54%
FX Workstation-48%
FX Overall - 67th Percentile

Zen Gaming-
Zen Desktop-
Zen Workstation-
Zen Overall-

GeekBench
FX Single Core- 2948
FX Multi Core- 11978
FX Open CL- 126870

Zen Single Core-
Zen Multi Core-

3DM Firestrike
FX Overall- 9412
FX Graphics- 12872
FX Physics- 8553
FX Combined- 3285

Zen Overall-
Zen Graphics-
Zen Physics-
Zen Combined-

3DM Firestrike extreme
FX Overall- 5328
FX Graphics- 5853
FX Physics- 8250
FX Combined- 2418

Zen Overall-
Zen Graphics-
Zen Physics-
Zen Combined-

3DM Firestrike ultra
FX Overall- 2921
FX Graphics- 2946
FX Physics- 8527
FX Combined- 1427

Zen Overall-
Zen Graphics-
Zen Physics-
Zen Combined-

3DM Timespy
FX Overall- 3994
FX Graphics- 4092
FX CPU- 3519

Zen Overall-
Zen Graphics-
Zen CPU-

Unigine Heaven - extreme tesselation, ultra ms/aa
FX FPS- 24.3
FX Score- 612

Zen FPS-
Zen Score-

Passsmark
FX Score- 3200.4
FX CPU- 10183.2
FX 2D Graphics- 577.1
FX 3D Graphics- 5752.8
FX Memory- 1460.1
FX Disk- 1928.0

Zen Score-
Zen CPU-
Zen 2D Graphics-
Zen 3D Graphics-
Zen Memory-
Zen Disk-

Last edited:
It depends on what you do, the largest upgrade is likely to be the 960EVO just make sure it's well cooled

I do mainly gaming.

As for cooling, im sure it will be good. I live in wisconsin and have a HAF-X case so airflow is plentiful and cool lol

I do mainly gaming.

As for cooling, im sure it will be good. I live in wisconsin and have a HAF-X case so airflow is plentiful and cool lol

Oh you'll definitely see a difference for sure but let me clarify, your NVME drive is going to be the hardest thing in your case to keep cool. Start looking into riser boards or m2 heatsinks if you haven't already.

it will all depend on the games, with the cpu upgrade the games that are cpu dependent will improve a good bit.
those that are gpu dependent will improve, but not as much.
but fx, being what it was, would even bottleneck a 970 at times.
so.... rejoice!!!!!!!!

Oh you'll definitely see a difference for sure but let me clarify, your NVME drive is going to be the hardest thing in your case to keep cool. Start looking into riser boards or m2 heatsinks if you haven't already.

ill have to look into those. Any preferences on those?

it will all depend on the games, with the cpu upgrade the games that are cpu dependent will improve a good bit.
those that are gpu dependent will improve, but not as much.
but fx, being what it was, would even bottleneck a 970 at times.
so.... rejoice!!!!!!!!

I mainly play wow, battlefield 1, diablo 3, fallout 4, skyrim and a few other. My current rig plays bf1 at max settings over 60fps in 64 player hardcore conquest multiplayer, and given battlefield is one of a few games that actually utilizes multiple cores im assuming ill see some increase there but probably not much given that my fx cpu is rarely over 60% useage.

ill have to look into those. Any preferences on those?

EK makes one, basically anything you can stick on the controller will work but most people are moving to riser boards that have a large aluminum heatsink. Here are a couple examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Heatsinks-La...F8&qid=1503963949&sr=1-2&keywords=m2+heatsink

https://www.amazon.com/Express-NGFF...F8&qid=1503963949&sr=1-8&keywords=m2+heatsink

https://www.amazon.com/Bplus-M2P4A-PCIe-NGFF-Adapter/dp/B00LAQS37U

EK makes one, basically anything you can stick on the controller will work but most people are moving to riser boards that have a large aluminum heatsink. Here are a couple examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Heatsinks-La...F8&qid=1503963949&sr=1-2&keywords=m2+heatsink

https://www.amazon.com/Express-NGFF...F8&qid=1503963949&sr=1-8&keywords=m2+heatsink

https://www.amazon.com/Bplus-M2P4A-PCIe-NGFF-Adapter/dp/B00LAQS37U

just did some looking on the 960 evo and i guess that a heatsink or riser isnt needed because it has a factory copper heatsink on it, and that people with full liquid cooled systems and no airflow only hit 60c at max, which is pretty far below the manufacturer spec/throttle point., so any sort of airflow would be a lot less. And i have a haf-x case which has a 220mm fan right on the door which will be blowing right at the gpu/m.2 slot.

well i saw multiple sites where people that bought it said there was one on it. Maybe its a copper dissipation plate, vs a finned heatsink

I just bought my 3rd one tonight. $189.99 at MC, in store only. No heatsink. Got a gnome tech on order.

960Evo.jpg

If you get your 1700 up to 3.9 odd stable over all cores, I'd expect a reasonable gain of 20-30% across the board in general for games (resolution dependent, sorry didn't see if you posted your monitor/screen res. You should gain more at 1080p than anything higher). But you'll probably see most of the gains in minimum FPS rather than average/max. It'll be a far more stable/consistent experience. For multi-threaded tasks I'd expect a much bigger gain. For example 1700 Review shows basically double your score in Cinebench R15 multi.

Will you be using the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 1700? And will you be overclocking it?

Will you be using the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 1700? And will you be overclocking it?

I will be overclocking to 4+ if i can
I wont be using stock cooler. I will be using the scythe mugen 5 or scyth rasetsu if the bracket works from my fx i have it on

I think you will need to get a new bracket. Contact Sythe to see if they have an AM4 adapter.

I think you will need to get a new bracket. Contact Sythe to see if they have an AM4 adapter.
The new mugen 5 heatsink comes with one, wasnt sure if my old rasetsu one would work though cuz that things a beast. Keeps my oc fx8350 under 50c in any condition or load

Back