• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from 7800 to 7900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illwillchill

Im thinking of getting an evga 7900gt (256-P2-N563-AX) for about $350, and i figure i sell my xfx 7800gt for at around $200+, should i even bother? :shrug:

im trying to figure whether or not the increase in preformance is worth $100+ and the trouble of selling.

I think buying every new card that comes out can really start to wear on your bank account. If you have money to burn, then do it. If not, take a deep breath and think twice about it.

rseven said:
I think buying every new card that comes out can really start to wear on your bank account. If you have money to burn, then do it. If not, take a deep breath and think twice about it.

i see what your saying.

Ive got the money but I am a bit frugal and hate upgrading needlessly. but considering that Oblivion is coming out next week, maybe my real question is if upgrading will let me have give me a tangible improvment (fps etc. ) :eek:

Well the 7900gt stock is a little better than the 7800gtx. And the 7900gt can be oced to 7900gtx specs. So I would go for it. I think you can make $240+ for your 7800gt. All the ebayers probably don't know there is a 7900 series. And the 7900gt is only $300, and I think the prices are supposed to be coming down within the next month.

This is the reason I buy all my video cards from eVGA. The step-up program. Instead of hoping I can get what I paid for out of my 7800GT, I just have to pay $15 plus shipping to exchange it for a 7900GT. People are saying the 7900GT is slightly better than the X1900XT, or maybe that was the 7900GTX, but the 7900GT can still overclock to GTX speeds. You probably won't need to upgrade but it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it before all the stupid ppl on ebay find out about the 7900 series.

illwillchill said:
i see what your saying.

.... but considering that Oblivion is coming out next week, maybe my real question is if upgrading will let me have give me a tangible improvment (fps etc. ) :eek:

Oblivion....the #1 reason I upgraded from a x850xt to 7900gtx :)

But would the upgrade be worth it? I dont think so. 7800gt is still an excellent card and if I was in your position I'd wait until I saw it starting to "hurt" my gaming experience.

illwillchill said:
Im thinking of getting an evga 7900gt (256-P2-N563-AX) for about $350, and i figure i sell my xfx 7800gt for at around $200+, should i even bother? :shrug:

im trying to figure whether or not the increase in preformance is worth $100+ and the trouble of selling.

I was thinking the same , and the extra 4 pipes would be nice , BUT ....we are talking only about 7fps more , 10fps at best with the upgrade . Personally Ive really been RE-thinking this so-called upgrade path , and Iam kinda shying away from it now (including that prices have already jumped up an average of $35 since its release) .
Kinda reminds me of when the GF3 Ti500 were top , and then the GF4 Ti4600 came out ..... I did the upgrade to the Ti4600 , but found it to be a pure waste of $$$ (as I really only found that upgrade to be it a 64mb card to 128mb card upgrade ; nothing more).
I think Iam just going to wait for the DX-10 cards for the next upgrade path .

My .02 :)

ive decided to just keep my 7800gt :eek:

ebay's not that promising, 7800gt auctions are barely going over $200, and i have had my card since october. I guess ill wait for the next generation :eek:

illwillchill said:
ive decided to just keep my 7800gt :eek:

ebay's not that promising, 7800gt auctions are barely going over $200, and i have had my card since october. I guess ill wait for the next generation :eek:

This too helped me decide .... 3DMark 06 scores

Back