• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from FX to Ryzen, HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i finally scratched the upgrade itch and got myself some goodies :clap: Ryzen 5 3600, x570 Aorus Elite and 16gb Flare X 3200 c14 to replace my trusty old FX-8370 (GPU/M.2/other goodies to follow in the coming months). I have been following Ryzen since it came out and am aware that with each new iteration there are problems with the BIOS, so I read about AGESA 1.0.0.6 fixing/improving on it but on the Gigabyte website I can only find a 1.0.0.3 ABBA, is this fine for now or is there anything I should be wary of ? Would also appreciate any tips on Overclocking both CPU and RAM since I'm gonna run it through the paces (just like all the others).

Ryzen 5 3600
Noctua NH-D15
x570 Aorus Elite r1.0
2x8gb Flare X 3200mhz c14
Gigabyte 1060 WindForce OC 6gb
1xSamsung 850 EVO mSATA 250GB
2xWDC VelociRaptor 500gb
Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum
Fractal Design Define S - black, no window
5xGP-14 (Fractal Design 1000rpm)

Use the latest BIOS from the website. That will be fine for now.

I wouldn't even bother overclocking, honestly, lol. That said, I would imagine 4.2 GHz is in the cards for all c/t on that CPU, but it should be just set it (VCore and Multiplier) and go. You will be temp limited before the board holds you back.

The RAM... here I really wouldn't bother overclocking, lol. The gain from 3200 to 3600 isn't much and not worth the(my) time. That said, AMD/Memory people can help on that front. :)

But but but !!! my FPS !!! one of my last upgrades will be a 1440p 144hz screen (replacing my 1080p 60hz) coupled with a 2070 super or a 5700xt, and i really wanted to be fully ready when that baby comes in. Exactly how hot is the 3600 (using a NH-D15 with 2 fans), and how high can I pump voltage safely, 24/7 and for short burst benching ? Also read much about 3600mhz RAM being the sweet spot for Ryzen 2, why I asked about OC'ing it :)

At 1440p, you don't need much CPU for best results so keep that in mind.

I have a 3700x, I would imagine the 3600 to be the same.

You won't have the cooling for more than 1.35V. 3600 is the sweetspot for RAM, I prefer to buy the sticks rated at those speeds. That said, sweetspot or not, its still not a big gain, a percent or two. :)

Flare X RAM sticks are 40mm in height. You may have some clearance issues with the outside fan of the NH-D15. Either sit the second fan right on top of it or try a 120mm fan.

OCing the Samsung B dies (I believe Flare X are Samsung Bs) from 3200 cl14 to 3600 cl16 could be as easy as setting the XMP profile for it. I've come across some reviews saying it was that simple. But as ED said, if you cant get there, 3200 cl14 is still great too.

I play mostly CPU bound games like MMORPG's, so even at 1440p IPC/clock/memory speed are welcome, and until then I'm still at 1080p... plus I really really want to OC it [emoji16] I'm used to dealing with high clearance memory, in fact I killed my 1st set of ddr3 exactly because I planted the fan on top of it (should have left an inch or so space) [emoji29]

Still think it's weird when E_D says I'll cap at 1.35v, too used at my Noctua handling anything I throw at it. 7nm really that hot ?

Thanks for the tips, my AM4 mount should come tomorrow and I'll update as I go along.

7nm really that hot ?
It's not that it is that hot, but the 7nm density and smaller die size has issues getting the heat out. Some say that the die placement on the CPU PCB has something to do with it... and it may, but I don't bet by much.

I run a 3x120mm AIO on a 3700x and can't get past 1.35V in stress testing (AIDA64 default).

you shouldnt have any problems ocing your memory to 3600, just play around with your main timings until you find the sweet spot for them. you shouldnt need much more than 1.35-1.40 voltage. theres also an amd memory tool out there that helps in finding your timings and speed according to your specific modules but i cant remember what its called :(
enjoy the new rig!

It's not that it is that hot, but the 7nm density and smaller die size has issues getting the heat out. Some say that the die placement on the CPU PCB has something to do with it... and it may, but I don't bet by much.

I run a 3x120mm AIO on a 3700x and can't get past 1.35V in stress testing (AIDA64 default).

What do you find for gaming comparison going from Intel to 3700x?

What do you find for gaming comparison going from Intel to 3700x?
No clue. I don't play games on it. I wouldn't imagine much difference, maybe a couple % in favor of the intel...hardly noticeable unless you are counting, or in search of every FPS (like I sort of am).

No clue. I don't play games on it. I wouldn't imagine much difference, maybe a couple % in favor of the intel...hardly noticeable unless you are counting, or in search of every FPS (like I sort of am).

How easy was the 3700x to overclock and what was the increase in clock speed from default settings?

Easy. I maxed out at 4.25 GHz.

With the 7 3700X boost speed of 4.4GHz does it make sense to overclock since on Ryzen 3000 it is common knowledge not all cores can reach full boost speed, so your only overclocking all cores to the lowest boost limit?

With the 7 3700X boost speed of 4.4GHz does it make sense to overclock since on Ryzen 3000 it is common knowledge not all cores can reach full boost speed, so your only overclocking all cores to the lowest boost limit?
4.4 Ghz is single core boost. 4.25GHz is all the CPU has in the tank all c/t... it's how most of these Ryzen 3/Zen 2 CPUs are. Depending on the board, I get all core boost from 3.75 GHz to 4 GHz when running AIDA64 stress test at default settings...

Read our front page review on the arch. Anand's if you need more details. But yeah, 99% of these can't get past their own boost all cores and threads. Dudsville for overclocking. Unless you need all c/t for work or w/e I would simply use PBO and increase those limits...

..but I digress. This isn't a thread about Ryzen details, but Kenrou's upgrade. Let's keep on track. ;)

Last edited:
I was keeping on track for keenrous upgrade. I will say again in a different way, is it worth overclocking keenrous Ryzen 3000 do to not reaching full boost speed on all cores?

Last edited:
What would be the performance differential between stock clocks (higher single core boost to 4.4 ghz) on Kenrou's Ryzen 5 3600 versus all core overclock to 4.25 ghz in CB R20?

I was keeping on track for keenrous up grade. I will say again in a different way, is it worth overclocking keenrous Ryzen 3000 do to not reaching full boost speed on all cores?
Not sure what my 3700x had to do with it, lol. If he wants to know these questions, he'll ask. :)

Anyway, last little tangent................

Zen 2 will reach higher than base speed on all cores. How high depends on the board and how the user sets it up. The advertised boost speed on the box is for SINGLE CORE.

Worth it isn't up to me... there are results of overclocking these CPUs in these forums and many others where he can see some results (3600 may be a bit more rare). I also mentioned my thoughts on worth previously....
Unless you need all c/t for work or w/e I would simply use PBO and increase those limits...
... if that is worth it, is up to him. ;)

What would be the performance differential between stock clocks (higher single core boost to 4.4 ghz) on Kenrou's Ryzen 5 3600 versus all core overclock to 4.25 ghz in CB R20?
That would be something someone with the CPU should test. Currently I do not have a Zen 2 system up. But the difference will be from 200-400Mhz in clocks in my experience with a different CPU... but as I said earlier it depends on the board and how it responds at stock. Some have power limits in place out of the box, others do not.

Last edited:
Back