• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading my computer build suggestions for a AMD board.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamerGuy83

Registered
In the slow process of upgrading my gaming computer while on a budget, so been saving money where I can. I just finished buying and installing a liquid cooling system on my processor and tweeking it to get some improved performance out of it. Now I'm looking at moving on to video card and RAM, and interested in what people recommend I use with my current board and CPU. Now you can see my current specs below including the Board and CPU I'm using and will be sticking with. So what I'm interested in is what RAM and video cards people recommend for top gaming performance. Keep in mind I am on a budget so can't afford the really expensive stuff. Though I want to try build a machine that will run top of the line games at best possible graphics settings I do, even if it means overclocking a few things to do it.

Now what I'm currently looking at in terms of video has been between the Geforce 960 and the Geforce 980Ti. Though the later will require me to do a bit more saving in terms of money. However, I'm wondering what the comparison is between them and their AMD counterparts, considering I'm using a board that could do the AMD Mantle if I had a AMD GPU?

In terms of the RAM I typically buy Corsair and would be going from a 8gig (2x4gig) set up to 16gigs, most likely 1600mhz and definitely DDR3 since my board only supports that. However, my board has been a bit finiky with Corsair ram (I've had to manually adjust some settings in bios to get them to work right) even ones that are on it's compatibility list after fully updated bios. So I'm willing to try other brands if anyone thinks there is a better option out there for me?

G,Skill usually gets along pretty good with AMD boards. But what is it you have right now 2x4 speed? 8 gigs is likely enough. As for the card, the 970 is a great card and not nearly the price of the Ti

G,Skill usually gets along pretty good with AMD boards. But what is it you have right now 2x4 speed? 8 gigs is likely enough. As for the card, the 970 is a great card and not nearly the price of the Ti

They are 1600mhz, but I have to replace them anyways cause I've been getting a lot of memory related issues including BSOD. A Windows Memory Diagnostic told me I have a problem there.

I've found that even before this recent run of memory issues that with Windows 10 any time I'm gaming I have issues. Namely when I'm trying to run a web browser on the side to get walkthroughs and such pulled up basically I will get system hangs and the like. Simply doesn't seem like 8gigs is enough to do a game and anything else in 64-bit Windows 10. So I want to go up to 16gigs.

That's up to you but there is an easy way to tell. WHile you're gaming and surfing open taskmanager and it'll show you how much ram is in use. These hangs could be totally unrelated to memory usage. Flash player, silverlight any kind of browser addon etc.. may not like your driver or Win10. If it were me I'd get 2x4 1866 or 2133 and look for AMD compatibility in the description.

So does no one have any input on comparison between the nvidia cards and their ADM counterparts like I asked?

the gpu is easy, get a 970 if you are on a budget and buying new, you might have to turn a few things back a notch but you won't really notice.
a 980, non ti is also a better choice but at a higher cost.

the gpu is easy, get a 970 if you are on a budget and buying new, you might have to turn a few things back a notch but you won't really notice.
a 980, non ti is also a better choice but at a higher cost.

I get that, but what I'm asking is for a comparison between the nvidia cards and their AMD counterparts? How do they compare in quality and performance? Should I get a AMD card so I can use AMD Mantle, or stick with Nvidia?

Back