• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Upgrading PC mobo/ram/cpu, need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venorize

Registered
Hey everyone, coming back here because you are always so helpful. I've been here a few times in the past on the creation and success of my computer. But now I need to do some upgrades, and I'm going to be much less picky this time around.

When I built my PC, it was a powerhouse, dominating all games and programs it came across. These days, I have to overclock just to keep on par.

Basically, I need a new, affordable, trustworthy motherboard. In doing so, I would require a new processor and ddr3 ram sticks for the board. My graphics card is (in my opinion) sufficient for the time being, given my limited budget... I don't want to burn too big a hole in my pocket now.

Below is my current build and opinions with each part.

(Note: This computer is used for much multi-tasking in small-end programs, running Dual-monitor dual-screen setup. This computer gets a lot of use. It is also used for med-high end gaming with games like APB, Rift, SC2, All Call of Duty games, and diablo3 when it's released.)

CURRENT BUILD:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Case: Not Interested In Upgrading.
Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I love this case, and the size of a full tower is specifically something I did want.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Motherboard: Needs To Be Upgraded!

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

After a few past posts, other uses came to the conclusion that my current motherboard will stunt the future growth of my PC, as it is now obsolete. What would be a good way to go from here? I'm really a noob at this haha.

Power Supply: Not Interested In Upgrading.
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

So far I have no problems with this. I don't see myself needing any more than this unless someone thinks I really need it based on further upgrades.

Video Card: Not Interested In Upgrading.
BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119

I know its a good card, especially with G92. I'm on a limited budget, so I think upgrading this is not more important than upgrading the ram/processor/motherboard.

Memory/Ram: Needs to be Upgraded!
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I'm looking to shoot for DDR3 now, which isn't possible on my current MB. So basically, whatever ram I'm recommended NEEDS TO BE COMPATIBLE with the new motherboard I end up getting. xD
Processor: Unsure, possibly needs upgrading?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core

I know its not the best, but given the current state of my computer, is it recommended? I figured if I should change it, its best to do so with the change of my motherboard. If I do change the processor, it has to be affordable.

PS: I'll say this. The funds I have available for this are in the ten-thousands range. But I didn't save that money by making bad financial decisions. I'm extremely careful with my money. So while my budget is unrestricted, I still would like to be safe with how much I spend on this. Don't go suggesting me Alienware-worthy parts now, I just need to be able to do my upper-end gaming and multitasking. I'm not launching nuclear satellite uplinks or some crap :p

Thanks again!

Last edited:
The Athlon 64 X2 6000 is a socket AM2 CPU and will not work with a socket AM3 board and DDR3 memory. Given the range of use you specify for the system I would recommend the Phemon II X4 955 BE. Its going for about $130 in NewEgg right now. Are you in the U.S.?

The Athlon 64 X2 6000 is a socket AM2 CPU and will not work with a socket AM3 board and DDR3 memory. Given the range of use you specify for the system I would recommend the Phemon II X4 955 BE. Its going for about $130 in NewEgg right now.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Are you in the U.S.?

Of Course

-----

So... I've decided to go with this Motherboard, given people agree with my suggestion that is;

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646

any suggestions on ram? I was looking at the CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB, but the reviews for it are a little concerning. It would seem a lot of people than I'm comfortable with, have their ram cause problems or die within a few months.

EDIT: Came across this which seems great;

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...277&cm_re=DDR3_240-pin-_-20-231-277-_-Product

-----

okay so, any opinions on using these 3 together with my current other build items, would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Of Course

-----

So... I've decided to go with this Motherboard, given people agree with my suggestion that is;

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646

any suggestions on ram? I was looking at the CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB, but the reviews for it are a little concerning. It would seem a lot of people than I'm comfortable with, have their ram cause problems or die within a few months.

EDIT: Came across this which seems great;

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...277&cm_re=DDR3_240-pin-_-20-231-277-_-Product

-----

okay so, any opinions on using these 3 together with my current other build items, would be greatly appreciated!

The ripjaws is good. That mobo is good. Lots of people have built with both and not had issues. If you come across an extra $100 before ordering you can go to a Gigabyte UD3P or MSi GD55 or 65 and a 2500K cpu and almost double your performance.

Thinking that at this point, not buying an board with an AM3+ socket is a bit wrong. Newegg only has 2 showing now but if you browse through Asus/ASRock/Gigabyte, they do have AM3+ socket boards which will take a Phenom II 955 if you do decide to go this route. Only concern would be that there is no definitive answer on how the next gen AMD cpu's will work with the older chipsets.

Back