• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oakyy

Registered
I currently have a Custom build pc and I'm looking to upgrade it further but with my little knowledge on what to do can anyone help

CPU................i5-4460
GPU...............Gigabyte GV-R927OC-2GD
MOBO............ASUS H81M-PLUS
PSU...............Corsair VS550
MEMORY.......8GB DDR3
STORAGE......WD BLUE 500GB
COOLING....... Gyro 120mm fan

What are your uses for this pc? Budget?

If it's gaming, grab a new gpu..otherwise I don't see much.

Yeah gaming but I also want to change as much of it as I can to black and white

Things like the motherboard
Ram
Fans
Have to be changed

So you want a theme change too..Bit by bit we are getting info.... lol

Budget??
Do you want to overclock?

Budgets not too expensive like $500
And I probably won't overclock to soon because I just bought the psu and don't really want to go for a higher wattage just yet

I also want to get water cooling because 40 degree Celsius heat in the middle of Australian summer doesn't go to well with a single fan

You won't need to upgrade your psu to overclock...but will need a new cpu and mobo... Likely not worth it for ya.

Anyway, I'd grab some 2x8gb ddr3 2400 mhz with colors that fit your theme, and same with the motherboard.

That said, if you are gaming, get a better gpu, like a gtx 1070.

With out spending much more money than you have in your budget, grab a GTX 1070 video card and call it a day. A 1070 will more than double your gaming power, so much so that it is hard to compare the two.

Save the theme build for the next one. Changing the Mobo RAM and Fans will gain you nothing in a gaming sense.

*edit Ninja'd by Earthdog

Do you know the average wattage needed for one of those things??

I currently have a Custom build pc and I'm looking to upgrade it further but with my little knowledge on what to do can anyone help

CPU................i5-4460
GPU...............Gigabyte GV-R927OC-2GD
MOBO............ASUS H81M-PLUS
PSU...............Corsair VS550
MEMORY.......8GB DDR3
STORAGE......WD BLUE 500GB
COOLING....... Gyro 120mm fan

General suggestions:

• Check out good deals on used CPUs in the top range of what your mobo supports. But also check out performance charts, tests etc. to make sure the money wouldn't be better invested in your GPU budget instead.
  • Probably want to replace that GPU, as you can't go all ultra in 1080p right now. Probably just barely not enough juice in your PSU for safe Crossfire, so I would skip that route and just get a beefy single card. This said, it probably doesn't hurt to have multi-GPU support, so perhaps skip 1060. If you consider multi at all, Crossfire support is found in less expensive mobos than SLI, so you may want to get an AMD card other things being equal.
  • Get another pair of DDR3 sticks before they become expensive. Not too urgent, just look for a good deal.
  • Get an SSD. Samsung Evo 850 500GB is the sweet spot (unless something has changed very recently) and the best drive in the range, but chances are you may find a slighly worse drive much cheaper (there's no need to price Evos aggressively, unlike other brands that don't stand out so much).
  • Get more fans, and stronger. Good and strong airflow in your GPU section means less noise from GPU fans and longer to wear them out (replacing GPU fans is a pain and they sometimes age badly). If you get the right placement, using more fans can allow you to spin them more slowly for largely reduced vibration and noise without spending too much money.

Last edited:
What games do you play? Some are more gpu intensive and others more cpu intensive.

Back