• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB issues on M5A99X Evo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Glad it seems to be sorted out, though are the same components plugged into it as the M5A97 board?

Well, this is what I did; I know, not very scientific fantastic!

I attached several USB powered hard drives and several self-powered hard drives, overclocked CPU to 4.3 from 4.1, and left the CPU/NB at 2.4. I figured what I would do is start lowering the voltage on the CPU/NB, starting from 1.25, while stressing with OCCT, batch copying files from one drive to another, running virus scans, and doing some chkdsk. All while downloading different distros of Linux and mods for Skyrim. When I got the voltage below 1.2, the Wifi driver would go missing from Device Manager and/or reboot. Only once did I have to do a forced shutdown do to loss of keyboard and mouse response. I ran out of time to play with the memory along with the NB.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why I can now run NB at 1.2. When I had my 8350 in, I could not run the NB below 1.3 without the system going to crap! It was the same with 6350; I could not get it below 1.25 without problems, just not as often. I would not think that changing cases from HAF 932 to HAF HB and changing from NH-D14 SE2011 to NH-C12P SE14 would make a change like that.

Sorry I could not be more helpful!

Well, this is what I did; I know, not very scientific fantastic!

I attached several USB powered hard drives and several self-powered hard drives, overclocked CPU to 4.3 from 4.1, and left the CPU/NB at 2.4. I figured what I would do is start lowering the voltage on the CPU/NB, starting from 1.25, while stressing with OCCT, batch copying files from one drive to another, running virus scans, and doing some chkdsk. All while downloading different distros of Linux and mods for Skyrim. When I got the voltage below 1.2, the Wifi driver would go missing from Device Manager and/or reboot. Only once did I have to do a forced shutdown do to loss of keyboard and mouse response. I ran out of time to play with the memory along with the NB.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why I can now run NB at 1.2. When I had my 8350 in, I could not run the NB below 1.3 without the system going to crap! It was the same with 6350; I could not get it below 1.25 without problems, just not as often. I would not think that changing cases from HAF 932 to HAF HB and changing from NH-D14 SE2011 to NH-C12P SE14 would make a change like that.

Sorry I could not be more helpful!

Very interesting approach. Sort of bass akwards. We're you trying to troubleshoot USB problems or were you trying to arrive at the minimum voltage needed to stabilize the overclock? It was a little confusing to me.

No, I was just trying to see if it was an overclock problem with the CPU/NB and memory that might be causing system or driver corruption.

I will have to finish my thought when I come back from work.

Last edited:
Back