• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a Cheap Router for Business

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

Currently I do some work for an office that has about 20 devices on a network sharing an Internet connection.

A Cisco router is connected to a many port switch (either 24- or 48-port) that connects the office network devices.

I was thinking of getting a cheap router as a temporary backup in case the main router ever fails.

I was thinking of getting a $9.99 (after "EMCLVPL36" coupon) NETGEAR router from Newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122269&ATT=17-507-003&CMP=AFC-C8Junction.

Should a cheap router function well enough as a temporary backup in case the main router ever fails?

What kind of internet connection is it and who manages the cisco router? If its a business line, then chances are the cisco router is managed by the service provider and you wouldnt be able to just replace it like that.

What kind of internet connection is it and who manages the cisco router? If its a business line, then chances are the cisco router is managed by the service provider and you wouldnt be able to just replace it like that.
The Cisco router is managed and leased by a service provider.

However, it may be decided to return the Cisco router to the service provider and use a Cisco router purchased elsewhere (it should be allowed).

If the equipment at place of service is all company owned and not by the service provider, would using a cheap ~$10 router work as a backup router?

The ISP may not allow you to do that anyway. The router is specifically configured for the service they provide and generally dont like companies managing it.

In any event a call to the ISP would solve your issue if they say you cannot replace it.

Can you not get the same Cisco router off Ebay and copy the IOS settings from the current one to the new one and have that as a backup? Not as cheap as $10 but might workout better depending on how the router is configured.

+1 for Battery backup and surge protection in any case.

the $10 backup router prob will fail before the cisco router :) even if its not doing anything :p
Is this claim in belief that the Cisco router is very unlikey to fail and that a backup is unnecessary?

Currently the service provider's router provides few important services:
  • Routing the Internet connection to the LAN
  • DHCP and Network Address Translation (NAT)

Unfortunately, the service provider retains complete control over the Cisco router device and does not allow for the office to configure the router's parameters (such as for the forwarding of ports). I wanted to replace the service provider's router with a Cisco router owned by the office to have control over LAN-related services.

The main issue (but needs not be the only) in this thread is not whether or not a service provider's router can be replaced.; it is regarding what the minimum router or minimum requirements for a router to be used as a temporary replacement if the main routing device fails.

How likely is a Cisco router to fail?

The point is that if the cisco router does fail, your ISP is the only one who can replace it and get the service running again. There is nothing you can do other than call the ISP and have them replace it.

I had cisco routers running for years with 1 failure.

The point is that if the cisco router does fail, your ISP is the only one who can replace it and get the service running again. There is nothing you can do other than call the ISP and have them replace it.
Thanks, I understand now.

Although the Internet connection may be down until the Internet Service provider replaces their router, the LAN with DHCP should still be recoverable with another router. Would a cheap router like the ~$10 one I linked to above function well enough, temporarily, until the service provider router is replaced?

Thanks, I understand now.

Although the Internet connection may be down until the Internet Service provider replaces their router, the LAN with DHCP should still be recoverable with another router. Would a cheap router like the ~$10 one I linked to above function well enough, temporarily, until the service provider router is replaced?

Yes you can use a cheap router for dhcp purposes.

+ if u have a business line they usually will replace that router real fast.. I have a cx with a SMB line he has about 6 computers. And the ISP gives him a 1h down/response time meaning that if he looses connection because of the isp or the modem/router dies they will replace it within an hour.. Also which ISP do u have?? this is the first time i see an ISP giving a cx a cisco router..

Back