• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very Interesting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I accidently turned off the ceiling fan in my office.

After about 10 minutes, I notice that the ambient temperature on my desk (have a thermometer on my desk) dropped by 2 °C.

Additionally, my system temperatures dropped by 5 °C...CPU and GPUs.

The ceiling fan sits almost directly over my main PC. Heat rises, but I never thought that turning OFF the ceiling fan would make a difference (I always left it on assuming it would circulate air.)

Very interesting...

So you're blowing hot air down, makes sense the temps dropped.

You should try running it in reverse to see if you get even better temps just for fun.

This weekend, I dropped the fan speeds in my case with the fan off...still stayed at the lower temps.

When I get time this week, I'll clean the fan and change the direction to blowing up...to see if it has any effects either way.

I'm still floored that this had such a drastic affect. Looking back in 20/20 hindsight it makes sense...but I can't remember ever seeing this as a cooling suggestion before - hehe.

While I'm not chasing every last °C, 5 °C is 5 °C...for just flipping off a switch!

Hey, I'm from Vancouver, we have warmer winters than lots of the USA. We don't really even get snow... Had 1 day of it this winter, got like 1cm, and it was gone the next day!

Yeah, but you really don't get summer either. Here in the Pacific NW we get three seasons: 1. cool and rainy almost winter (October through early April), cool and cloudy pseudo spring (mid April through early July), and wanabe summer (mid July through September).

I never have bought in to the blowing up vs. blowing down crap. it isn't an exhaust fan it doesn't blow it out of the house. the air is just deflected be the ceiling and come bouncing back down..and here in Texas it is much it hasn't snowed since 1984, that's hot eh?...lol

Before you all think I'm crazy, here's a graph!

Ceiling Fan.jpg

Blue Line: CPU Package Temperature
Orange Line: GTX 980 Ti Hybrid Temperature
Yellow Line: GTX 980 (air cooled) Temperature

Running constant Folding at Home

The fan blowing up was superior to the fan blowing down, but it looks like fan off is the best.

I'm going to repeat later on with just the fan blowing up.

With the fan blowing down, my ambient temperature went from 26.8°C to 28.2°C in 20 minutes!

The plateau on the left is before my programmed A/C kicked on today.

Yeah, but you really don't get summer either. Here in the Pacific NW we get three seasons: 1. cool and rainy almost winter (October through early April), cool and cloudy pseudo spring (mid April through early July), and wanabe summer (mid July through September).

Hey, we get at least 2 weeks of 30C+ every summer! That's as long as summer is supposed to be right? And I spend every July 1 weekend up like 4 hours NE of me, and it's often 40+!!

Before you all think I'm crazy, here's a graph!

View attachment 177256

Blue Line: CPU Package Temperature
Orange Line: GTX 980 Ti Hybrid Temperature
Yellow Line: GTX 980 (air cooled) Temperature

Running constant Folding at Home

The fan blowing up was superior to the fan blowing down, but it looks like fan off is the best.

I'm going to repeat later on with just the fan blowing up.

With the fan blowing down, my ambient temperature went from 26.8°C to 28.2°C in 20 minutes!

The plateau on the left is before my programmed A/C kicked on today.
I dont think anyone believes you are razy... this is pretty logical what is happening. Fan blowing down is taking the warmest air in the room and pushing it towards your PC, eventually mixing it all. Fan blowing up is taking the cooler air from below and circulating it, while the fan off lets things naturally settle... warm air rises, cool air settles. Elementary my dears. :)

Nice to see a visual representation.

Back