• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video card cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hollywood96

is there any video card cooler that's better then the evga acx cooler or is that like a lot better than stock and if there is how much is it and where can I get it and I don't want any water cooling I run on full air. running on a gtx 780 btw.

:comp:

If the stock cooler is the type that blows out the back, pressurizing the case would improve performance.

price wise im very open de4pending on performance and no its a ack essentially the same as a lot of third party air coolers but I didn't know if theres any discrete differences that im not noticing

Is the existing cooler the type that has a single blower fan or one with two or three conventional looking fans on it?
The blower type can be helped with case pressurization as I mentioned (just mount a variable speed Delta in the case blowing in), while the fan type benefits a huge amount from a fan in the side panel, as I have done on my PC. In many cases, it's possible to replace the existing fans on a fan type GPU cooler with some more powerful ones.

On the blower type cooler, if the rear grill is too restrictive, it might help to cut the grill, but beware that the fins on the radiator behind it are easily damaged. If you're willing to do some case modding, you could even cut the metal separating the expansion slot openings in order to get some more airflow.

Is the existing cooler the type that has a single blower fan or one with two or three conventional looking fans on it?
The blower type can be helped with case pressurization as I mentioned (just mount a variable speed Delta in the case blowing in), while the fan type benefits a huge amount from a fan in the side panel, as I have done on my PC. In many cases, it's possible to replace the existing fans on a fan type GPU cooler with some more powerful ones.

On the blower type cooler, if the rear grill is too restrictive, it might help to cut the grill, but beware that the fins on the radiator behind it are easily damaged. If you're willing to do some case modding, you could even cut the metal separating the expansion slot openings in order to get some more airflow.

Its an EVGA ACX card.

OP, unless you're going to get a 3-slot cooler or a water cooling loop you won't get much better than the cooler on the card.

Pull off the stock fans and mount a pair of Deltas on it. That'll definitely push you into 3 or even 4 slots, but then again, the way they designed the expansion slots is horrible for cooling. (Hard to fault it when nobody thought of this when they designed ISA, but the transition from regular PCI to PCI express was a good time to fix that problem...)

The ACX is much better than stock. I seriously doubt you'll have any cooling issues with any card that has one. Especially given that EVGA only makes Nvidia cards, which are all heavily limited in their OCing.
Do you actually have an ACX cooled card in your possession? If so, have you checked the temps?

If the stock cooler is the type that blows out the back, pressurizing the case would improve performance.
No. Just no.
To get enough pressure in the case to meaningfully increase airflow through a squirrelcage type cooler you'd need to seal the case (including PSU) and use a screamer at full blast. Not even close to worth it.

Pull off the stock fans and mount a pair of Deltas on it. That'll definitely push you into 3 or even 4 slots, but then again, the way they designed the expansion slots is horrible for cooling. (Hard to fault it when nobody thought of this when they designed ISA, but the transition from regular PCI to PCI express was a good time to fix that problem...)
Part of what makes the ACX cooler awesome is that it has excellent cooling power and low noise. Deltas, and other serious business fans, are not low noise to anybody but you.

Bob, I agree with what you said completely. I can run +50mV on my 770 and +250 core and still not break 75C. On top of that, the fans are still quiet.

I'm pretty sure there's only going to be a significant load when he's gaming, unless he's into GPGPU type stuff. All of the higher end GPUs (anything higher than the $100 cards) will have variable speed fans, of which you can tap the control signal to control aftermarket fans.

well thank you for the help ive seemed to have started more debates than answers but I did get exactly what I was looking for thank you very much and btw deltas are annoying af I thought I can handle the noise on a 120 mm and it is now currently sitting on my desk acting as a 30$ paperweight long story short if you can tolerate that then you can tolerate a lil bit of work on doing a water loop jsin

Hence why I recommend the *variable speed* Deltas. They're used in many of the higher end Dell workstations. The fixed speed Deltas (even the digital ones) are indeed pretty noisy and won't slow down very much since the logic would enter UVLO before you can get the voltage low enough.

But you can still find a use for that Delta. If you fold or otherwise often leave the PC running a high load while you're away, install that Delta as a case fan with a switch to turn it on and off.

Ahh the wonder of terrible advice.
The ACX doesn't need upgrading, and even slowed down deltas are noisier than most people like, regardless of whether they're used in workstations or not.

Seriously, can the "LOL PUT A DELTA IN IT THEY MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER ALWAYS" stuff.

If you don't like Delta, Nidec works just as well. There's also the option of going with Sanyo or YS Tech, but those use the inferior resolver based drives. (Realistically, you'll still be very happy with those.)

I think everyone can agree that even if it's not too hot, getting it cooler extends component lifetime. And that a fan, no matter how noisy, is completely silent when not running, and when nobody's there to be bothered by the noise, you might as well rev up the fans to keep everything cooler.

If you're intentionally being aggravating, you're succeeding.

Do you really think brand is the objectionable part of a Monster Fan?
Nobody is going to be happy with any of them, they're all far louder than the ACX cooler fans which are 100% serviceable and don't need replacement in the first place.

well thank you for the help ive seemed to have started more debates than answers but I did get exactly what I was looking for thank you very much and btw deltas are annoying af I thought I can handle the noise on a 120 mm and it is now currently sitting on my desk acting as a 30$ paperweight long story short if you can tolerate that then you can tolerate a lil bit of work on doing a water loop jsin
Hollywood I agree with Bobnova and ATminside, I can't see how the ACX isn't cooling enough or quiet enough. If you really want to spend money on an aftermarket cooler I have one of these and it's a really good aftermarket cooler. I don't know how much cooler it will be then the ACX but it is nearly inaudible even at 100% fan speed.

If you're intentionally being aggravating, you're succeeding.

Do you really think brand is the objectionable part of a Monster Fan?
Nobody is going to be happy with any of them, they're all far louder than the ACX cooler fans which are 100% serviceable and don't need replacement in the first place.

Engineers with a mindset are hard to deal with. They don't see real world applications for normal people well. It's in their genes and training. They don't deal with normal stuff and normal PC builds. They prolly have no clue about the ACX coolers and real world options with real world video cards ect. and not have a need to, they listen to their own drummer.:bang head:bang head

Thus this fun..................

Goddamn i never knew that ppl can be so stubborn and ignorant at times i guys none got the subtext of thank you means end post but i will say this i don't fold and i don't leave it running anytime i use it I'm right next to it so i have no use for it dm me if you think you got the patience for it

And no I'm perfectly happy with the acx in fact i expected very Lil possible improvement over it i was extremely curious and I'm trying to learn

Back