• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card for System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ahoorg

hi guys im not entirely sure what im trying to get in a new pc..im looking mostly for game

and media preformance..video encoding etc,here's what i have so far..any changes or upgrades

or help would be appreciated: i want to play doom3, unreal 2004, half life 2

hmmm AMD Athlon 64 3200 or Pentium 4 3.2C 800fsb

Antec TRUE430 430 Watt ATX12V Dual fan or enermax

*either ABIT IC7-MAX3
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P
Gigabyte 8i875
or your suggestion
dont plan on going past 3.4C so prescott is not a concern

Pioneer DVR 107 8XDVDR or PLextor 8X DVDR

SB Audigy2 ZS 7.1 or M-Audio revolution

Ati Radeon 9800XT or plan for doom3 with nVidias highest GPU?

now for RAM. DUAL CHANNEL DDR: OCZ ?, Corsair TWINX? ....?
i dont know anything about latency or how it affects preformance or anything like that
but keep in mind my purpose, high end gaming, media processing/ 3d studio,encoding,dvd

thanks guys! you know your stuff !

Either wait for the new offerings that nvidia will put out on the market soon, or get the ati 9800PRO to be more future proof in the future.;)

save some money and buy a fortron/sparkle power supply, dont get enermax, get an antec over enermax. also i would go with te 865 chipset, perfromance difference between the 2 is almost zero last i checked, p4p800 is a great board. 3.2c is a great choice. i have never used m-audio, but i hear they are great, so its really a toss up, i would go with creative though, just because thats what i use now, and i like it. plextor makes the best optical drives last i checked, cant go wrong there. dont get an xt, get 9800 pro, save your self some cash. and lastly, i hear mushkin is the best memory, but i stick with corsair myself, i would get 1gig of twin-x.

if cost is not a factor, go for the athlon 64 3200+. it can outperform the p4 3.2 in many areas and it's future proof with the upcoming 64 bit windows. it also cost slightly less than the p4.

Back