• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card issue or just ironic timing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z-freak

Registered
So my gpu is running really cool, 55-59c on desktop, I go to bed happy. I wake up this morning see the screen saver going, move my mouse, see my desktop for about 2 seconds and then the monitor goes BLACK. The pc is still running, the blue power light is still going on the monitor but no picture. I try to reboot, still no picture. I go get the monitor from my kids pc, turn on pc, everything is normal. GPU temp at 59c. Can your video card EVER damage your monitor? Is this just a strange timing irony that my monitor could go bad?

Monitor is Gateway LP2407, FPD2485W, which by the way when I plug into my kids pc...isnt working there either.

Help!

Last edited:
I have never heard of a vid card killing a monitor. Was it plugged into a surge protector?

I have never heard of a vid card killing a monitor. Was it plugged into a surge protector?

Yes, surge protector/battery backup. The monitor didnt lose power, the blue power light was still on, but the screen was black...

Check the cable.

I was running into a similar issue with one of my monitors. Turns out hte DVI cable went bad :s

Replaced that, and the monitor has worked great for more than a year now.

(Actually I forgot to throw away the DVI cable and I have another that looks just like it, so perioidically I run into the is problem whe nsetting up PCs. grab the wrong cable and waste time trying to trouble shoot lol) One of these days I will get annoyed enough to remember.

Check the cable.

I was running into a similar issue with one of my monitors. Turns out hte DVI cable went bad :s

Replaced that, and the monitor has worked great for more than a year now.

(Actually I forgot to throw away the DVI cable and I have another that looks just like it, so perioidically I run into the is problem whe nsetting up PCs. grab the wrong cable and waste time trying to trouble shoot lol) One of these days I will get annoyed enough to remember.

Swaped out DVI cable...no luck...(used different power cord too)

Blue lights show on edge of monitor, but no picture at all, monitor does not even get warm...

well if you checked all the cables and tried it on other computers it might be dead.
it doesn't also show a message like "no signal" ?

well if you checked all the cables and tried it on other computers it might be dead.
it doesn't also show a message like "no signal" ?

NADA, nothing comes up, completely black...

So, where do you suggest looking for a monitor online?

24" +

i never buy online.

and it depends on where you live, all the americans are fine with newegg

if you are a player choose carefully the resolution at which you wanna play, big monitors require BIG gfx also :p

would be better if you edit a signature with your specs so you don't have to tell ppl everytime

Just on the off chance...

Plug it back in, get it all fired up where the light is on. Take a flashlight and shine it on the screen, do you see anything? I'm curious if the backlight went out...

Just on the off chance...

Plug it back in, get it all fired up where the light is on. Take a flashlight and shine it on the screen, do you see anything? I'm curious if the backlight went out...

lol m8 i love your signature

i used to heat up my room with my pentium 4 too XD

Not going to try my suggestion? T.T

But the sig is true! I don't at the moment because it is warmer, but it worked :shrug:.

Not going to try my suggestion? T.T

But the sig is true! I don't at the moment because it is warmer, but it worked :shrug:.

My room in winter was the warmer in my house, guess why

a pentium 4 Overclocked!! and a 7800 gtx and also all the capacitors of my abit
did a good job in making my room confortable XD

btw freak, do as thideras said, lcd monitors got backlight (so powerful Oo?)

My room in winter was the warmer in my house, guess why

a pentium 4 Overclocked!! and a 7800 gtx and also all the capacitors of my abit
did a good job in making my room confortable XD

btw freak, do as thideras said, lcd monitors got backlight (so powerful Oo?)

I re-read that...he was serious...HMMM...I'll try that...

****DID IT...NADA

Last edited:
****DID IT...NADA
If you saw nothing and know for sure there was supposed to be something on the screen, replace it.

THEN, figure out what failed after your other one arrives so you can fix it!

Back