• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Upgrade: Seeking GTX 1060 opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

So, not quite 4 years ago I upgraded my video card to the EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB. I've been running that since, playing mostly Skyrim and Elder Scrolls Online and while I can play at mostly highest video settings, things can seems a little slow sometimes. I've always been behind on hardware because of the cost. I love PC gaming and building my own boxes but can rarely afford to spend $ on new toys.

I just bought PNY GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card (VCGGTX10603PB) and while I prefer EVGA cards, this was on sale and I could afford it so... I've also upgraded my main monitor to an Acer KG240 24" TN Gaming LED Monitor w/144hz refresh rate, an improvement on the 60hz models I've been using. Sadly, the card is backordered and I don't have it installed yet.

I'm just curious to know, from anyone using a GTX 1060 perhaps, what I can expect to see once it's in my rig. Will the difference be noticeable? Will I be able to do or see anything I haven't been able to up til now because of my hardware? Is my antiquated CPU or old RAM going to effect video performance?

I'm an avid builder, but still new to overclocking. I love these forums because of the wealth of knowledge you all possess and are willing to share. I've got too much time on my hands waiting for the card and I'm trying not to have premature buyer's remorse lol

Thanks in advance for anything you might want to say in response. :)

It will be a very sizable upgrade . I would expect 1080p/60+ fps on ultra on most titles . Few quick googles showed skyrim on ultra with 60 + fps to hit 144 you might need to lower settings a bit .

Don't expect to hit 144fps in every game with ultra settings (Im looking @ you BF1 Multiplayer ) but if you dial them back should be doable .

it'll be better with the 1060, it is way ahead of the 760.
the 3 gig 1060 takes a hit in vram and cuda core, but still way ahead of the 1060 and very close to a 980.

You should see about 50% fps gain, which will often make the difference between playable and not quite playable, and which will often put you at ~50 fps on ultra. In newer games, 144 would proably be limited to heavily optimized e-sports titles after giving up some image quality (not necessarily all the way down to Low).

Check out reviews and see how it performs.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/

It is a significant upgrade though and your cpu wont hold you back. The thing is, the 1060 isnt really a 1080 144hz card. It's a 1080p 60hz card. A 1070 or 1080 is a much better option at 144hz (I know, budget, but you asked). The 3gb vram on the card is also at what many would say is a minimum for 1080p.

Back