• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual Ram Drive, Which program should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScrubyMcBubble

Registered
Hey, I currently have 16gb of ram clocked at 1600Mhz 7-8-8-20-1T and i am wondering what software is best for setting up ram drives.

I have always loved ram drives, when it comes to oldschool games, or smaller games, nothing beats having the entire game on your ram as if it were some sort of lightning speed SSD. I currently use some really outdated software for my ram drives and im quite sure DDR3 was not around when i got the software haha. I use VirtualDrive Pro Manager 11.6, and most of the time the computer will BSOD and crash after setting up the ram drive and getting about half way through copying the data to the drive.. This is why I am looking for input as to what my other options are.

I have found a program called AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk, unfortunately even with the highest version they limit the ram disk to 6gb :-/. It would be nice if the program had no limits like the outdated VirtualDrive Pro because my main use for Ram drives is Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (7.8GB) :attn:.

Any suggestions?

I wish windows could do that... haha Anyways after searching around, the two most appealing pieces of software appear to be:
SoftPerfect RAM Disk
ImDisk Free
Both claim to have no limits to the size of the ram disk allocated, and both are free. Reviews say ImDisk is very basic and simple, I might try both and see which suits my situations and needs better..

I use Dataram Ramdisk, but it's not something I'd wish on others. Everytime you restart the computer, it auto-starts and fails, so you have to open the control panel, disable it, re-enable it, and then format manually.

I'm testing out SoftPerfect RAM Disk atm, so far its great. No BSOD's, The drives can be saved, mounted/unmounted, deleted etc. It kind of acts like an .iso virtual dvd/cd program.
I haven't looked into it fully, but so far with a drive i started of 9gb in size, I placed an 8gb game upon it and played the game for an hour then restarted the computer. After restarting the drive remained but it has been cleared of all stored data. I'm not sure if saved drives will load the state at which you manually saved it or if they will update the save files before shutdown. I dislike my drives being active until i need them anyways, so i will just uncheck the program from the autostart list and ill be happy.

EDIT: This one seems to do everything and has a user friendly layout, I don't think I'll bother with testing ImDisk because i'm satisfied with the first program.

Last edited:
I'm curious.... Could i make a ramdisk, then take a program that's already installed and move it to the ram disk, and then make a junction so i don't have uninstall a program then install it again?

would a junction work from a ramdisk?

Yes! That is exactly what i use my ramdrive for :D
I have a separate folder for my steam games in My documents while all my steam games in the common folder within steamapps are redirected to my Ram drive with junctions. Whenever i feel like playing a certain game i just start my ram drive and drag n' drop the game i wana play :p
Nothing beats competitive loading screens! hahaha especially games like blacklight retribution where you can start moving the moment you finish loading giving you that 2 second head start lol
Or when you are playing autobot hosted games of warcraft 3 where it lists the fastest load times once the game starts.. i get competitive about the oddest things..

EDIT: It also depends on the format you set the ram drive to, i forgot junctions are limited to NTFS and possibly FAT formats. I just remembered the time that i tried to put a junction from a DVD to a virtual disk of one of my games thinking it could act as if the game were in the DVD drive :p haha apparently junctions don't support every drive format (such as DVD).

Last edited:
Back