• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Visual problems sometimes on my Geforce2.. what could be causing it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TR_B

Hey All,

I was hoping anyone could give me a hand on my problem.
I already looked through all the threads here but didnt find anything... so sry if this has already been asked.

Since a few weeks i have visual problems on my Geforce 2 GTS (Asus v7700; not OC-d; no voltmods etc...)
I did not change anything on the drivers and/or settings. Even did a clean windows-installation but no reveal. Both happens on Win98 and WinXP regardless of drivers (tested others after i had problems...).

Here is what happens:
- z-buffer acting up? Some objects stretched over the screen sometimes.
- Missing textures.
- Textures no colors (looks like it)
- Gabs in maps/levels etc... (like no texture)

Does this indicate
my videocard-memory is too hot / bad?
my GPU is too hot / bad ? (idle it runs around 52 C now)

It has been quite warm the past few days in Holland... and when you look inside my case the warm air from my cpu and chipset is blown (due to the casefan at the top) at the backside of my GF2.

The amount of errors seems random. Sometimes alot and sometimes jus a little. Happens with all games... but only at points where the amount of detail is getting a bit high.

might be important: 3.3V line drops to 3.17V, 5V to 4.7 underload.
Im already getting me a new PSU tomorrow (Enermax 433W) for that.

Could the voltages be a problem or the heat or is just my GF2 at its end?
I did overclock it a few times (220/390 w/o artifacts) but only for a short period to run 3dmark2k1.

My system:
AMD XP 1700+ @ 1,46, ECS K7S5A, 512mb pc133, Terratec Integra128, IBM Deskstar60, Skyhawk 300W PSU

Tnx in advantage for any ideas :)

Sounds like the card and case is too hot. 52C at idle is hot.

Make sure to top case fan is pulling hot air out. Add a side fan 92MM or 120mm blowing across the Video card. Is there any fans pulling in cool air?

What resolution and refresh rates are you running?
Try lowering them.

tnx for your reply =)

Da Whip said:
Sounds like the card and case is too hot. 52C at idle is hot.

Make sure to top case fan is pulling hot air out. Add a side fan 92MM or 120mm blowing across the Video card. Is there any fans pulling in cool air?

What resolution and refresh rates are you running?
Try lowering them.

i run at a max of 1024*768 (bad 15" monitor cant do more)
but no difference at other, lower resolutions down to 640*480 considering those graphical problems. Already tested that.

i only have one casefan. At the top blowing cold air inside. Sound a bit strange to me but its the most effective way of cooling the inside temperature and cpu after alot of testing @ different positions and "blowing" direction.
cpu runs fulload at a max of 45 C.
system temp doesnt cross the 32 C.
60 C and 45 C without casefan @ fulload. Really a difference. Warm air coming out of every open space of my case. (small case and fan draws 2 amp @ 12V).

Bad part: the warm air goes across the gf2 first before going outside the case.
I just tested this: When i said my gf2 ran idle at 52 i was running Prime already for a while. Shut that down and the GF2's temp went down to 40 C in a few minutes!

I will take out my casefan tomorrow morning and let it blow air at the backside of my GF2. If the problems go away it really was the heat.
Need to look for another fan-setup also... with 2 fans like you said :)

great tnx :)

but the problems didnt go away this morning with a new setup i tried (casefan blowing at gf2) :(
so maybe the heat already did permanent damage?
i sure hope not....

already have the gf2 for a relatively long time (2 yrs? just after it was released)
planning to buy a new card anyway in a few months....

TR_B said:
great tnx :)

but the problems didnt go away this morning with a new setup i tried (casefan blowing at gf2) :(
so maybe the heat already did permanent damage?
i sure hope not....

already have the gf2 for a relatively long time (2 yrs? just after it was released)
planning to buy a new card anyway in a few months....
wat do u mean its causing errors?? u mean it locks up ur OS or there r glitches in the games?? if its the glitches it could just some corrupted files. try reinstalling ur vid drivers and see if that helps try getting newest drivers and reinstall

Sry,
Looks like it was my PSU: low voltages.

Today i got my new and more powerfull PSU
yeah finally stable voltages
and those graphical problems are gone also
tested it a few times but nothing anymore! :)

weird thing... i didnt have it a few weeks ago
means my old psu was at his end?

tnx for all the help

Last edited:
Back