• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage Stability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrollyX

Hopefully this isn't a repeat question, but i am currently overclocking a FX8150 @4.0ghz using the EasyTune6 program from Gigabyte (mobo), and it is very stable, both in Temp (multi programs running 30c, idle in low 20's c) and in Volt 1.28V. I've read in this forum many times not to use the cookie cutter programs to oc, but when i do 4.0ghz manually set at 20x multiplier my voltage according to CPUZ fluctuates from 0.9's - 1.3's even though it runs stable. Can someone please explain if this is an issue and how can i solve it if it is a problem. Thank you.

FX8150 black
Gigabyte GA-990XA-ud3
16gb corsair vengeance LP 1600mhz
Gigabyte radeon 6850 oc
sandisk extreme 120gb ssd
thermaltake water 2.0 performer cooling system = to a H70-H80 or so

I'm not sure, but could it have to do with your cpu idleing and throttling back to conserve power?

Ty for the reply. The idea of idling and changing due to activity had crossed my mind. I wasnt sure why the quick tune keeps it steady at 1.28v no matter idle or load. But manually fluctuates.

You want the chip to fluctuate like that. These chips can do ~ 2Ghz on about 0.8v and 4.5Ghz on about 1.5v depending on the particular sample. If your system is idling away doing very little it doesnt make sense for it to be ramped up to 4+ Ghz sucking your wallet dry though your electrical outlet. When using easy tune its probably setting fixed values and overriding windows power management to boot.

What you want to do is find the lowest vCore your CPU will pass P95 stability at for whatever speed you want to run it at, and set those values into the bios manually. This will allow you to keep AMD Cool N Quiet running to keep the CPU fan down, and windows to do its power management thang. This way you get performance when you need it and power / heat / noise savings when you dont.

You want the chip to fluctuate like that. These chips can do ~ 2Ghz on about 0.8v and 4.5Ghz on about 1.5v depending on the particular sample. If your system is idling away doing very little it doesnt make sense for it to be ramped up to 4+ Ghz sucking your wallet dry though your electrical outlet. When using easy tune its probably setting fixed values and overriding windows power management to boot.

What you want to do is find the lowest vCore your CPU will pass P95 stability at for whatever speed you want to run it at, and set those values into the bios manually. This will allow you to keep AMD Cool N Quiet running to keep the CPU fan down, and windows to do its power management thang. This way you get performance when you need it and power / heat / noise savings when you dont.

Ty for input, that make a lot of sense. What I have done for now is set multiplier in bios at 20.00(4ghz) and rest at auto settings. Everything is stable on 3dmark and prime95, I figure I can always go up from there and the worry bout Vcore settings later.

Back