• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage too 'unstable'?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBurn

First of all, I'm still a little noobish, just so you know.. :burn:

I have an ASUS P4S8X motherboard, revision 1005
Intel P4 2.4b ghz
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (overclocked a little)
2x 256 DDR SDRAM (EDIT: I've downloaded CPU-Z, and I now know that it is PC2700 (166 mhz) memory from Samsung.)

This had been running stable for a few days at 153 FSB, so I thought I'd try a little higher. It booted without problems at 157 FSB (2827 mhz), but when I run Prime 95, it always gives errors after a while.

Why could this be? The temperatures are not extreme, according to MBM 5, the highgest CPU temperature was 44C this time. It never gets any higher than 46-47C. However, the core voltages don't seem right to me.

When I go to High/Low in MBM 5, next to 'Core 0', current is 1,68 V, low is 1,58 V and high is 1,70 V. In the BIOS, i set the core voltage at 1,60.

Is this the reason for the prime 95 errors? Or could it be something else, like my memory? Any help is appreciated. :thup:

Last edited:
Heat doesn't seem to be your problem. Your voltage is fine in terms of stability, I dont know if in the long term you can expect your CPU to last long at 1.68 (ASUS's tendancy to overvolt a wee bit)...

What happens if you loosen your Memory timing and/or up the VDimm a tad (say by .10V)?

If you still get errors, you may have just hit your chips wall. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get a dud.

Back