• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W10 slow boot issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLambeth87

Ok, dumb question but I can't seem to find a good answer. I realized, after my install, that I installed on a legacy MBR partition rather than GPT partition. Will this affect my boot speed? I have a beast of a system (see sig for specs) but it takes almost a full 45 seconds to boot from the time I press the power button to login screen. I have Fast Boot enabled in the Bios and a buddy of mine has a system with worse specs that boots in about 20 seconds. There are only 2 differences, 1 he is GPT partition and 2 he only has one M.2 SSD in his system where i have a bunch of HDDs.

Any info would be great. Thank.

Josh

That is a heck of a system for sure. The extra hard drives could be making a difference, what happens when you disconnect them for a boot?

I haven't tried that yet since 2 of the HDDs are in a RAID 0 format and I don't want to crash the RAID (it is backed up however so maybe I'll just try it anyway).

I also forgot to mention that I have disabled all other drives other than the Intel 750 series NVMe in the BIOS for boot options so it shouldn't be scanning those drives at all for a boot record.

Josh

That is a heck of a system for sure. The extra hard drives could be making a difference, what happens when you disconnect them for a boot?
Disconnect extra HDs to test any changes. Subscribed to this thread to see what ends up helping you.

I am going to take a stab at this...

I see a PCIe SSD, and a PCIe M.2 based SSD, both have ROMs/drivers they load upon boot which slows things down. That said, with my 950 Pro as boot (and 2 other HDDs) and W10, I am at an active desktop in 15s. I can't imagine another PCIe based device like that in POST would slow things down that much. As was said earlier by Janus. Remove the other drives (particularly the M.2 or w/e PCIe drive your OS is NOT on) and see if that improves boot times.

EDIT: But you said you disabled them... hmm...

EDIt2: Actually, you said that you disabled it in the BOOT options... It would still read the card in POST if you removed it there. Now, if you DISABLED the port it was on, that would be different. My original post stands. :)

Last edited:
i had an issue with windows 10, if i had my phone plugged in to the usb port it would take foreeeeverrrr to boot.

X99 boards seem to go from power on to Windows load screen slow.

I get from power-on to active desktop in about 20 seconds on my machine. It was slower until I turned OFF fast boot. For my motherboard (according to the forums) the fast boot was mainly designed for Windows 8/8.1. With Windows 10 installed, the fast boot actually took longer.

The motherboard has to iterate through all connected devices...including USB. The longest sequence on my board was USB iteration. I made some changes by brining devices into a hub, and that seemed to help.

i had an issue with windows 10, if i had my phone plugged in to the usb port it would take foreeeeverrrr to boot.

I noticed this issue myself. The USB ports at times seem to get crossed, or maybe a power wakeup setting for USB. My external USB3 drive at times hangs the boot for W10. Once I cut the power to the external drive, BOOM, boots instantly.

USB issues have always been a problem with booting W7/W8/W10 in my experience, strongly believe it's power saving/driver and/or something related to it.

X99 boards seem to go from power on to Windows load screen slow.

I get from power-on to active desktop in about 20 seconds on my machine. It was slower until I turned OFF fast boot. For my motherboard (according to the forums) the fast boot was mainly designed for Windows 8/8.1. With Windows 10 installed, the fast boot actually took longer.

The motherboard has to iterate through all connected devices...including USB. The longest sequence on my board was USB iteration. I made some changes by brining devices into a hub, and that seemed to help.
I'm about 15s...

X99 and w10. Samsung 950 Pro.

Last edited:
My boot was also very slow, almost a minute, until i checked "MRC Fast Boot" ON in memory timings in BIOS, after that ~20s (with hibernate off in windows) ? would that help a X99 system ?

Little update,
I unplugged all unnecessary USB devices (card reader, DROBO 5D RAID, USB Headphones) and the system booted within 25 seconds. Any way to have the system skip over looking at the USB devices? If not not big deal.

Josh

Hm... I have a USB3.0 card adaptor and my boot times are not stellar. Thank you for posting about this.

Would you try to take this a step further and experiment which of the USB devices has an effect of doubling your boot times? All? Try plugin them back in one by one, if you can.

Your question will then become even more crucial, how to skip that individual problem device... I don;t think it can be done...
The best I can come up with would be to maybe disable it, then *after* the system boots it runs a script re-enabling it, but then it would have to be disabled at shut down again, and that would not really be a solution.

But for now, it would be helpful if we could pin point individual culprit(s)?

Back