• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wake on Lan stopped working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fasttimes

WOL stopped working, and at first I thought it was software related (as it usually is) but I did a bare-metal restore to a known working version and it still didn't respond to a magic packet.

I installed wire-shark on this box and I was able to determine that the packet is coming through sucessfully.

I'm starting to suspect that the built in lan is the culprit. IIRC the BIOS controls if the NIC can WOL. Assuming the built in NIC is the issue, would a new lan card fix this problem for me?

Update: I got a new card and still had the same results. Like a dumbass I upgraded the BIOS and that caused all sorts of hell (BSOD). After downgrading the BIOS everything started working again.

What I think happened that made the WOL work again is I reset the CMOS using the jumper pins on the mobo. I hope this helps someone in the future if your WOL stops working for no reason.

Back