• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning.....incoming enemy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah! But all this fun has a small price. You might want to check out the following link, don't worry about the small print, just leave your details Here:D

I have added AMDMB.com to the challenge graph.....I'm playing with the settings.....so expect tomorrow the new update of the challenge graph.

We need more power people :burn:, the frogz are speeding up.....With all the data I have seen this week they catch us before this year ends......

Mictlan said:
I have added AMDMB.com to the challenge graph.....I'm playing with the settings.....so expect tomorrow the new update of the challenge graph.

We need more power people :burn:, the frogz are speeding up.....With all the data I have seen this week they catch us before this year ends......

man i am working as hard as possible with 4 computers all running seti....:D Well i am sure well will over come any opsticle..

I have seen a difference that linux only takes 2 1/2 hrs to 3 hrs to complete a packet and windows take 18 hrs whats up with that...

Are you using clc in windows? Remeber that you need to do a lot of tweaking in windows so that you can have the fastest setting available. Remeber that:

You need to move your swap file to begging of your HD.
The size of your swap file must be fixed.
Defrag your HD.
Don't use other programs when running SETI (err.....sorry.....but sometimes I have the folowing thought when I'm at home: "shall I play DIablo II?, New better to leave the system there so it can burp another WU faster)

Mictlan said:
Are you using clc in windows? Remeber that you need to do a lot of tweaking in windows so that you can have the fastest setting available. Remeber that:

You need to move your swap file to begging of your HD.
The size of your swap file must be fixed.
Defrag your HD.
Don't use other programs when running SETI (err.....sorry.....but sometimes I have the folowing thought when I'm at home: "shall I play DIablo II?, New better to leave the system there so it can burp another WU faster)

What is clc and sorry but i am playing diablo 2 while the seti program is running.. I don't see much of a difference when i am running it by itself...

CLC is the command-line version of SETI. Has no interface, just a small DOS box that crunches in the background. Makes for considerably better SETI times since it doesn't have the overhead the screen-saver has.

Your WU times probably will be the same whether running Diablo or not because when you run games the SETI client normally goes into an idle state and does not count against you, however, it's no longer crunching either. It is designed by default to only take cycles that are unused, so if a game is using all your CPU cycles, SETI must go idle since it has nothing to crunch with.

Jon said:
CLC is the command-line version of SETI. Has no interface, just a small DOS box that crunches in the background. Makes for considerably better SETI times since it doesn't have the overhead the screen-saver has.

Your WU times probably will be the same whether running Diablo or not because when you run games the SETI client normally goes into an idle state and does not count against you, however, it's no longer crunching either. It is designed by default to only take cycles that are unused, so if a game is using all your CPU cycles, SETI must go idle since it has nothing to crunch with.

i am pretty sure that The game doesn't take all of the cpu cycles.. because one i have alot of ram and two my system runs smooth compared to others that run the same programs.. Thanks for the info i am going to switch to clc now...

It may not....think it depends on the game and the priority you have SETI set at.

Wolfenstein and DoD both caused SETI to go idle on me and I've got half a gig of memory and a 1.4Tbird @ 1.66 so I'd think that it would have enough to squeeze out some cycles for SETI too but it doesn't. I also have it set to a low priority though and I think that is where it really matters.

Mictlan said:

Well, when my cousin is playing Starcraft whil I'm crunching a WU my normal crunching time goes from 6.25 h to 8 or so hours. I have the SETIDriver priority to normal, and sometimes while I'm playing Diablo II and forget to stop SETI I get some slowdown. NO that I play much this days ;).

wolfsid: If you want to get the command line client going follow this link so you can configure it alright.

Mictlan said:

Well, when my cousin is playing Starcraft whil I'm crunching a WU my normal crunching time goes from 6.25 h to 8 or so hours. I have the SETIDriver priority to normal, and sometimes while I'm playing Diablo II and forget to stop SETI I get some slowdown. NO that I play much this days ;).

wolfsid: If you want to get the command line client going follow this link so you can configure it alright.

woooo calm down with the direction on the seti clc LOL :D

Yes i am useing the clc now and it does work alot better then the gui verison did... but what i don't understand is why would i need to use the setispy or andthing else that the link showed me... all i typed in the cmd line was setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe -verbose and it seems to work fine... i have 4 windows open all running seti and is seems to be running faster then the 1 gui verison of seti.. well is there anything else i need to tweak her out or is it now up to me to get my system more mhz...

Let me try to explain:

If you run more than one clc at the same time with a single processor, what you will be doing is sharing all the CPU cycles between them. Sometime ago a debate run about that one but as a far as I have seen running 2 clc windows at the same time finish later than running them one a time.

SETIDriver is a program that lets you cache WU for latter crunching. Berkeley has a way to go down every so often. If you need to get a new WU, you'll have to wait for them to go online again. If you have SETIDriver you could continue crunching until they come back.

As for SETISpy, this little program lets you check on your crunching with a little more information than the one shown in the clc window (crucnhing in progress.....), so that way you can know when the WU will be done, which coordinates the WU come from, what Angle Range have, whats your crunching efficiency, how many WU I have crunched, stuff like that.

You have seen the following screenshot, this is an example of what information does SETISpy gives you. It's a handy program and don't uses lots of resources.

thanks for the info. but are you sure even if U have the clc in a different dir. and run seprater programs i don't know... but i know is that i am doing 4 times the amount of i was doing with the gui version.. and well i don't think that they interact with each other but i am not a expert... YET. maybe i am wrong and it slows it done but so far its working faster and compliing data quicker then the windows gui verison.. and in linux would it make a difference if i uses more then on with linux like say i open differents users and then run seti on different names but under the same for my seti account... :eh?:

Back