• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling a dfi nf4-sli-dr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1cem4n: that was a very general statement that you replied to with another very general statement. A GPU can indeed put out more heat than a CPU. For example the Winchester, Venice and San Diego cores put out 67W each at most which is less than the 72W you quoted. Also if you start using mobile processors the heat goes down also. However when you look at the Clawhammer and New Castle cores they put out 89W at peak. So what was said was very general and not a rule to go by as it varies depending on the system. GFX cards use a whole lot more power than a CPU though that cannot be disputed.

The best option for watercooling SLI systems (while not breaking the bank) is probably to braze/solder/CNC/end mill/drill press to make a copper "box" & put barbs on it however they will fit ("borrowing" the shape of the lunaforce could help with that ;) ).

In any case, that said, cooling the Northbridge rarely helps. A better option would be a passive copper heatsink.

Moto7451 said:
The best option for watercooling SLI systems (while not breaking the bank) is probably to braze/solder/CNC/end mill/drill press to make a copper "box" & put barbs on it however they will fit ("borrowing" the shape of the lunaforce could help with that ;) ).

In any case, that said, cooling the Northbridge rarely helps. A better option would be a passive copper heatsink.

But the thing is there isnt enough room for an effective Passive Heatsink. I have one here I may try out when I get my system up and running though. it'll need to lose more than half it's height to fit.

Just stumbled across this forum while looking for a solution on how to cool the northbridge on a DFI SLI-DR and so far I have only found 2 waterblocks that fit and also a mod for a passive block.

Linquage here
waterblock #1
waterblock #2
Modded passive block

The problems with the waterblocks are the barb sizes, 10mm is a easy fit but 1/2" looks like the block will restrict the flow way too much. As for the passive mod the mobo hasn't been turned on so temps are unknown.

The best thing you can do is re-seat the current hs/f with a decent spread of AS5 and then temps will lower and fan will run quieter (bios fan/temp settings)

Hope this helps some of you :)

It's better to just get a good Northbridge Cooler which uses air because the more blocks you have, the more pressure from the pump you need because of restriction. Thermaltake doesn't make good products IMO because they're too flashy and they rip off of other manufacturers such as Zalman(passive watercooling and the golden Orb).

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
It's better to just get a good Northbridge Cooler which uses air because the more blocks you have, the more pressure from the pump you need because of restriction. Thermaltake doesn't make good products IMO because they're too flashy and they rip off of other manufacturers such as Zalman(passive watercooling and the golden Orb).

-1cem4n

Where did Thermaltake get into it? :shrug: but anyways, the first block, the lunaforce was mentioned before I think, 12mm Barbs are good but as has been noticed would be bad for the loop in general due to its restrictiveness. The other block has way to small barbs,

What would be the point of getting a better air? You'd still have the problem of another small fan whirring away, WC the Northbridge was for silence purposes I assume.

Don't you already have fans for your radiator? I don't think it would be too much of a problem since I will be using 3(6 if its a push pull) Delta 220CFM 120mm fans. Can you say jet engines? I will be using the MicroCool Northpole as it is a quality product and cools very well.

-1cem4n

yes, but and if you are using 3-6 deltas it doesnt matter if the northbridge is loud but if you are using a couple of relatively quite 120mm fans (even the panaflow highspeed ones are pretty quite) then the whine of a small fan at very high rpm can be bothersome.

They're 45bda which is still pretty loud. OSHA(Occupational Safety and Hazard Association) has laws against working in conditions with anything over 50dba. There is barely any difference and it is impposible to tell if something is 1dba over or under. Also, every fan you add raises your dba by 3.

-1cem4n

how restrictive does everyone think the lunaforce would be? (in a loop with a swiftec storm, dd5, thermochill 120.3, and maze 4 gpu)?

Back