• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling in a HAF912

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlvrDragon50

I'm considering getting a water cooling loop since I have a bit of extra cash.

I have a HAF 912 case with an i7-2600k and Sapphire 7950.

I am planning on getting the XSPC Rasa RS240 kit since it seems like the RX240 won't mount internally, but some people are saying the RS240 isn't enough to cool both the GPU and CPU?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...cluded_w_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321s1310

I will be using an EK full case water block for the 7950.

I would PREFER to have the radiator mounted internally, but if I have to go external it will make my life easier.

It seems like the one consistent option is to mount the radiator in the front, but that requires removal of the drive bay, but I have two HDDs in my computer at the moment.

No it's not. You need more cooling. Your 120x2 rad is enuff for ONLY the CPU.

:welcome: We actually know this stuff. And have huge YELLOW stickies. In fact one is to teach you about wattage and heatload. Why don't you find it?

Just a part of the game here. We'll help build an AWESOME rig, no Billshoot about it. We expect you to pitch in and learn about WC. It's not 'rocket science', but you do need to learn for a few days minimum. Folks that do well spend a few weeks reading posts and the stickies in depth. Then it's easy.

It's a hobby, not a goal. Give the Beginners guide a read and then if your still interested read deeper into the stickies.

Your case can hold enuff raddage with cutting. Dunno where you heard that the preferred location is in the front. Odd.

No need to be so condescending and assume I didn't do any research.. I've already searched quite a bit. I posted here because I wasn't able to find the answers I was looking for.

I've done plenty of searching, and the general consensus I found was that you need 120rad per block...

8QXNXQo.png

The issue with mounting the radiator on the top internally is the hoses tend to kink near the CPU block or something that sort. Perhaps I didn't state the question clearly enough...

My issue: I need to find a radiator that will adequately fit internally in a HAF 912 case.

Okay, that's what you found. We find different.

If they are cheap hoses, poor wall thickness, no Bitspower 90 rotaries, I can see that. But we are talking about the raddage area. What is your planned normal usage for the CPU and GPU at your planned overclocks? Your tolerance to loud fans? Your ambient room temps?

Total wattage, add 20 watts for the pump, and your blocks. Low/High FPI rads, 3000+ RPM fans or quiet 1000 RPM? All these things need considered.

Yep, condescending. But you see the picture now? I'm the old guy that been at this a long time and know the things you don't yet.

I'm willing to help been at it for years. Up to you. At least read the stickies. Learn a bit more.

I pulled that image straight from the guide. I read the guide in its entirety...

I don't think you're seeing my issue.

My problem is finding a radiator that will even fit internally in the case in the first place. I'm not worried about planning an overclock. I can figure that out once I know what equipment will fit in the HAF912.

There's no point in calculating the required heat dissipation only to find out that the radiator requirements won't even fit in the case.

If you don't do the research then how do you know if you have the room first?

Gaming usage you need a 120x3 in total. If your planning huge CPU/GPU overclocks your gonna need a high FPI rad and some great fannage. You know what FPI is yet?

Selective choosing: I choose this:

"Change that to an i7 (non-Sandy Bridge) and you add a significant amount of heat, as they run very hot. I’d give it its own 120.2, so if running an i7, NB block and single GPU, use at least a 120.4."

"If you plan on running an Intel i7 CPU on either the X58 or P55 platforms in its own loop, a 120.2 could probably take care of that heatload."

There's no point in calculating the required heat dissipation only to find out that the radiator requirements won't even fit in the case.
HAHAHHAHA; conumdrum could fit a 120x4 in your case, but that's just cause he's pimp. If you're devoted, you'll make it fit. actual radiator area needed is ONE of your biggest question. Don't forget you have the fan at the back that you could mount a thin 120mm radiator too, and you could also get crafty with the side intake. Condumdrum might be taken as harsh, but he truly knows his stuff and doing your homework will save you later (whether it's a few hours of time, or $$$$ as you didn't blow up your entire system from a lil water leak.)

open your case, how much room do you have between the top of your RAM and case metal up top? that will give you the answer. I'd personally plan to remove the lower drive bay and that crappy included HD bay thingy, then measure and see if you can fit another 120x2 flat. you can mount the HD's other places. GET CRAFTY son.

It says non-Sandy bridge.

i7-2600k is SB last time I checked.

If you want to tell me that the guide is outdated, I'll accept that and we can move on past this stupid little argument. I'm not selectively choosing.

How do I even fit a 120x3 in the HAF912? It barely has space for the 120x2. I don't think I can drill holes into the front of the top of the HAF912 because of the ports (which I'd also like to keep) and the raised portion.

images

Seriously though.. stop being so condescending. FPI = fins per inch. You want silent? You get low FPI. You increase the FPI, you have to increase your flow which generally = louder. Have I demonstrated my knowledge for you yet, great one?

open your case, how much room do you have between the top of your RAM and case metal up top? that will give you the answer. I'd personally plan to remove the lower drive bay and that crappy included HD bay thingy, then measure and see if you can fit another 120x2 flat. you can mount the HD's other places. GET CRAFTY son.
Is it even efficient to mount a radiator on the bottom of the case though? I think it's possible to mount one in the front of the case which is what I said in the first post.

Last edited:
define efficient. is it efficient to plan a water cooling system with less overall radiator area then needed to cool a specific wattage load? it also depends on what delta temp you're looking for; if you don't care that your water cooling system is less effective then a good tower style air cooler then it doesn't matter.

Down front you can mount maybe a 140x1 (i'd go with a xt45 alphacool) standing up, or probably a 120x2 flat. if there is air moving through the area and radiator, then I'd say yes it is efficient.

ONLY YOU can open your case and start mapping the area you have. This will be the ultimate answer.

Attachments

• DSCN2753 (2).jpg
    DSCN2753 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,823
No need to be so condescending and assume I didn't do any research.. I've already searched quite a bit. I posted here because I wasn't able to find the answers I was looking for.

I've done plenty of searching, and the general consensus I found was that you need 120rad per block...

8QXNXQo.png

The issue with mounting the radiator on the top internally is the hoses tend to kink near the CPU block or something that sort. Perhaps I didn't state the question clearly enough...

My issue: I need to find a radiator that will adequately fit internally in a HAF 912 case.

Ahh see I thought Conumdrum was being a jerk to me as well (on another forum Here) but that's just the way he speaks i've figured out. So don't take it personally and I don't think he was being condescending. He basically said to do more research and you become wiser that way and may answer your own questions...if not...then ask.

The first actually useful post... Thank you dtrunk.

I'm not worried about the water cooling being less efficient than air coolers since the main purpose of the water cooling is to water cool the GPU block which is the loudest fan in my entire system.

Worst case, I'll water cool only the GPU, but I'd like to water cool everything. I also really doubt that this will be less efficient than an air system... I haven't checked in on the air cooling system, but the Noctua D14 was the standard a year ago, and that thing is absolutely massive and will block up my RAM slots. I have no interest in dropping even more money on low profile sticks.

I posted this because I know the HAF912 is a pretty popular case, and I was hoping someone else here has tried to water cool the HAF912 as well...

edit: I have no problem with being a **** to me, but if you're going to be a ****, please at least be correct. The guide he told me to read had information that contradicted his personal beliefs. Don't get mad at me for not 'researching' when the guide you point me to itself doesn't agree with you.

68a4dab3_e4480269_IMAG0115.jpeg
This is the one I would love to replicate, but I use a 3.5" USB port in the front along with 2 HDDs...

Most of the cases in the google image search are mounting the radiator externally or it's not a HAF912 in the first place. I think I might have to move my HDDs to an external enclosure.

Yeah if you can sacrifice the drive Bays I think your cleanest and best looking option is going to be to mount the radiator in the front similar to the picture you posted.

If you have google sketchup (because its to scale) you can mess around in there to see what fits. Thats what ive been doing wih my 800D before making any changes.

Back