• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Flow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randpost

This is my first custom loop. Photo 1 has directional arrows to show flow direction. My logic here was to put a radiator between each component. Not sure if I am missing something or not. Seems like a ton of tubing. What do you think? The loop is filled with distilled water and EK clear concentrate, so it would not cost much to redo the loop.

GPU has excellent temps. 40c max in Heaven with 150 oc to clock and 500 on ram. 1080ti FE.
CPU is not so great. 7700k at 5ghz - 3.3vc - hitting 79c on load. CPU is delidded. This is possible due to the vram cooling and size of block? I was getting similar numbers on a H115i.

Last edited:
Wow there is alot of tubes on the go . There is no reason to hit a rad before each part . Aim for the most simple loop order with the least amount of tubing . Loop order doesn't really matter as the water in the loop will all be the same temp pretty much . Jaystwocents just did a Vid yesterday changing the order to prove this point.

Yup. Pretty good vid. The only thing that we all can agree on is the res before the pump so the pump can be fed. Aside from that, loop order doesn't matter. As Console suggested: route the loop with the shortest route. No need for a mile of tubing.

Somthing like this is the order I would take .

For it not being much better than your AIO . Its possible you were not maxing out the cooling of the AIO so more Rad made little difference . When fans and pump are @ 100% is it better ?
Have your checked your mount on the mono block ? Are you in the proper inlet for the block ?
What thermal paste did you use for the Die and the IHS . Did you reseal the IHS ?
For vcore I hope you mean 1.3v not 3.3 =)

now.jpg

Somthing like this is the order I would take .

For it not being much better than your AIO . Its possible you were not maxing out the cooling of the AIO so more Rad made little difference . When fans and pump are @ 100% is it better ?
Have your checked your mount on the mono block ? Are you in the proper inlet for the block ?
What thermal paste did you use for the Die and the IHS . Did you reseal the IHS ?
For vcore I hope you mean 1.3v not 3.3 =)

View attachment 198312

So it was the mono block. Delidding caused the mono block not to sit right. I set it aside and switched out to a different block.

Here is the adjusted loop.

IMG_20180502_195541.jpg

I thought you guys said a lot of tube!!!
that's nothing compared to my 9570/chvf-z/titan kit with three rads and two pumps.
There can be a lot of fiddling around when running neked, I find I have to work with my mounting quite a bit to get them right.

Hey Randpost,
How did you determine it was ther block and what block did you go with? I'm having issues with mine too.

Thanks.

My thermal paste never spread when clamping down the CPU. I tried taking off the plastic feet for the clamp posts and the pasted would spread unevenly away from the vrm side. Eventually I just removed all the feet and I got better performance, but just not what I was use to. The tolerances with the block having to extend over the vrm is tight. I could have got a new IHS to accommodate the lost height from delidding, but that block pissed me off too much to put in any more effort with it. I went with the Supremacy Evo rgb. No complaints.

Thanks for the info. That's the block I have but surprised that it doesn't cover the entire ihs. So much of it is left exposed.
My thermal paste never spread when clamping down the CPU. I tried taking off the plastic feet for the clamp posts and the pasted would spread unevenly away from the vrm side. Eventually I just removed all the feet and I got better performance, but just not what I was use to. The tolerances with the block having to extend over the vrm is tight. I could have got a new IHS to accommodate the lost height from delidding, but that block pissed me off too much to put in any more effort with it. I went with the Supremacy Evo rgb. No complaints.

skineelabs proved this for us almost a decade ago. :)

We know that but IDK if new ppl do , a lot of ppl that like YT tech vids know Jay =)

@ Op Glad you found the problem . I like the New loop . How are the Temps and how does it clock now =)

Changed up the loop to accommodate a vertical GPU mount.

I am on my second Maximus X Hero board. I may need to send this one back too. First board only 1 of the 2 m.2 slots worked. This second board the m.2 is fine but the DDR slots will only read memory in the 4th slot. I think I would ditch ASUS right now if it wasn't for the fact that AURA also syncs the 12 HUE bulbs and strips I have throughout my house. Thank god I bought the board through Amazon making replacement quick and easy. I almost bought from NewEgg... What a hassle that would have been.

IMG_20180504_234423.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180504_231905.jpg
    IMG_20180504_231905.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
As far as your first board... isnt there port sharing? As in, you use a sata slot and an m.2 slot is disabled? On the previous board, it read all the memory? Cpu block on too tight??

As far as your first board... isnt there port sharing? As in, you use a sata slot and an m.2 slot is disabled? On the previous board, it read all the memory? Cpu block on too tight??

The first boards m.2.2 slot did not work. On the Second board both m.2 slots work. I'm sure that the 1 and 2 sata slots share bandwidth with the m.2.1 slot. I believe the m.2.2 shares bandwidth with the sata 5 and 6 slots. I'm not entirely sure. Either way I don't have any sata drives plugged in and both m.2 slots work on the second board with the identical setup. I currently have two NVME m.2 drives in raid 0.

The first board read all 4 memory slots with no issue. I will try and loosen the CPU cooler on the second board. Since the water block uses spring tension I only put a few turns on the screws and let the springs do the job. I'll see if I can post with multiple sticks when the cooler is removed.

Funny thing is I have a z370e and a z370g and I have no issues with either board. I wanted the Hero for a little smoother power delivery.

IMG_20180505_065736.jpg

Last edited:
I received my 3rd Maximus X Hero and everything is working perfectly. I was able to test the Z370e Strix for a while too waiting for my Prime Now driver to arrive (1.5 hour delivery).

Its crazy how much more voltage I have to push to get 5ghz on the Strix board. 1.44 at load in HWMonitor vs 1.31 on the Hero. Is the VRM that much better?

The temperatures stay below 75c at 1.44, but i still don't feel comfortable pushing that much voltage. For the Strix being an "enthusiast" board it's kinda garbage. Perhaps I lost the motherboard lottery on the Strix?

There isnt a motherboard lottery. The Hero has the superior power delivery over the strix boards (though the difference shouldnt remotely be that much).

Bios updated? Are you sure it actually needs more voltage as that doesnt make sense...

There isnt a motherboard lottery. The Hero has the superior power delivery over the strix boards (though the difference shouldnt remotely be that much).

Bios updated? Are you sure it actually needs more voltage as that doesnt make sense...

I'm not too sure. I accounted for vdroop by setting llc to what was being reported in HWMonitor. Both BIOS updated via ASUS update within the BIOS. The z370e was not able to provide the stability at 5ghz given the same or similar settings in the bios. I was only able to get 5ghz prime stable at higher voltages on the z370e (HWMonitor reported max). It could have been user error though.

On the Hero board, I am stable at 5.1 no avx @ 1.33v. Max temp running prime95 over night was 70c with an ambient of 27c. Case closed and fan profiles set to every day use settings.

Final Form

IMG_20180506_124055.jpg

IMG_20180506_124122.jpg

Back