• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Pump Sizing question! 3 Choices!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bandit788 said:
Thanks man, what's wrong with your water??

It' just won't get colored. It's pretty much crystal clear with a slight visiblity of antifreeze.

[Corporal Dan] said:
Because they're more than double the price! Brutally expensive at 110 dollars a pop. Those are in canuckbucks, btw, so the aquarium/pond pumps are dirt cheap. Besides, the 12v pumps draw from the power supply, which requires one to spend over 100$ for an decent example.

My current pump is a Via Aqua, and i have it in an inline configuration. Why can't the above pumps be modified?

I thought a pump only added significantly to heat load when submerged, not when inline.

isnt the swiftech mcp350 like 70 bucks?

Encore2097 said:
Is that a modded DDC? Did you mod it yourself or get it pre-modded? And how does it compare to a DD5?

Dice is correct, it is the Alphacool Ultra. It comes with the top, but you have to put it on (takes like 30 seconds). The pump is suppose to be awesome with that top, I filled up a gallon jug with it in a little under 20seconds (near the rated 700L/hr). I cannot advise on the DD5, except that I read hours of reviews and graphs; the DDC is by far quieter, has similar head pressure, but does not flow as much volume in a low restriction loop. With moderate to high restriction loops, it will do just as good as the D5 that is set on #5 (DDC = 382mmHg, D5 on #5 = 389mmHg). These numbers are not even the new pump, or with the mod!!!

From the graph below, you can see that the D5 completely outflows the old DDC. But my DDC is rated at 700L/hr, so there is not that much difference now. Plus, depending on your loop that difference may be negated completely. Anyway, I like the awesome flow/silence/size of it. Hope this helps people in making their purchases.
Bandit
Pump curves.JPG .

ziggo0 said:
It' just won't get colored. It's pretty much crystal clear with a slight visiblity of antifreeze.

What are you running? I have MCT-5 with just a couple drops of UV dye.

bandit788 said:
Dice is correct, it is the Alphacool Ultra. It comes with the top, but you have to put it on (takes like 30 seconds). The pump is suppose to be awesome with that top, I filled up a gallon jug with it in a little under 20seconds (near the rated 700L/hr). I cannot advise on the DD5, except that I read hours of reviews and graphs; the DDC is by far quieter, has similar head pressure, but does not flow as much volume in a low restriction loop. With moderate to high restriction loops, it will do just as good as the D5 that is set on #5 (DDC = 382mmHg, D5 on #5 = 389mmHg). These numbers are not even the new pump, or with the mod!!!

From the graph below, you can see that the D5 completely outflows the old DDC. But my DDC is rated at 700L/hr, so there is not that much difference now. Plus, depending on your loop that difference may be negated completely. Anyway, I like the awesome flow/silence/size of it. Hope this helps people in making their purchases.
Bandit
View attachment 50752.

Let me rephrase that: That Alpha Cool top is the same as doing this mod but it looks cooler right? http://www.systemcooling.com/mcp350_mod-01.html

Last edited:
My next email:

Hello,

I understand, however there is a retailer here who has a large number of these pumps in stock. Before I can make any decision as to which to purchase, I need some idea of the performance characteristics.

If you no longer possess such information, could you direct me to the original design manufacturer who may be able to help?

Thanks you,

Their response:

Here are the specs known when these were in stock:
Pump GPH Amps Cord size Outlet Inlet Shutoff
PS5 470 0.37 6' 3/4" FPT Dial 7.25'
PS7 990 0.49 6' 3/4" FPT Dial 9.5'
PS9 1100 N/A 6' N/A N/A N/A

All three are MAGDRIVE, which related to magnetically driven pumps, which held a magnet as the impeller spinning & providing water flow. This made them energy efficient but not pressure efficient. I don't know what kind of magnetic field they could generate that would work against the PC..

I do not know what the power factor for a magdrive motor/pump would be. Probably an inductive load, so the wattage dissipated is not the same as true load wattage.

*sigh*

My pop's an electrical engineer but hasn't worked as an engineer in 25 years. he think I should just estimate using .9 but he has no idea if that's accurate in this case.

Anyone know?

Max head is 9.5 feet for the midrange pump.

Hmmmmmm...

bandit788 said:
I think it looks cooler, hehe, but it's in my case. Really, it is pretty much the same as long as you get the new 18watt version of the pump. But you have no pretty LED's:cry:
Bandit

Of course it does look amazingly nice. Is there a U.S. distributor / shop that carries the top?

[Corporal Dan] said:
My next email:
I don't know what kind of magnetic field they could generate that would work against the PC..

The magnets shouldnt have any effect on the hard drives since you need very strong magnets to effect them, but I wouldn't risk any important data. Other components not too sure about, I would ask someone who has done it before. Good luck.

Back