• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watts your power consumption?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Computekinc.us

Hey guys, been 6 years or so since I have popped in. Glad to see a lot of familiar names are still going strong here! With Covid 19 keeping me locked up I decided to put the home computers to work.

I was wondering what everyone was getting for PPD and power consumption for newer setups. I am pretty surprised how many PPD I can get now compared to about 6 years ago when I was blowing 2,000+ watts to make 1mil PPD. It seems with the work units being hit and miss idle time wattage makes a difference too.

My home setup as example:

AMD Ryzen 7 - 2700 standard (12nm 65w TDP)
MSI B450m Pro
16gb PC4 25600
512GB SP M.2 2280 Gen3 X4
MSI Ventus RTX2070 Super
Corsair TX850w

Running Win10 Pro - Latest Nvidia driver 445.87

Sitting at desktop idle --------------- 55 watts
Folding on all cores CPU only 0-15 - 135 watts
Folding on RTX2070S only ---------- 300 watts
Folding on 0-14 CPU's and GPU ---- 350 watts

PPD (Stock clocks - no overclocking)

CPU 0-15 (all cores no video) 80k PPD (Project 14365)
CPU 0-14 (-1 for GPU) ------- 60k PPD (Project 14365)

RTX2070S -------------------- 1.745 Mil PPD (Project 11747)

Overclock PPD

Add this later on.....

I thought it would be interesting if others would submit CPU / GPU wattage information to help others decide on what to build and how much electricity that it will use.

Good to here from you Nate:cheers:, times have sure changed, its all about GPU's now.

I have not paid attention to watt usage just my total electric bill its less than $150 right now...Including Heat pump for AC and Heat, Switched all lighting to LED years ago, new Fridge and washer dryer all energy efficient...and with my wife always home the TV burns almost 24/7...The 4 GPU's are not unbearable...in the winter that is. I may try to run the basement PC(2 GPU's) in the summer this year.

By the way sorry to have passed you on the way to a Billion...Feel free to pass me back:chair::comp:

Its been a treat to see old teammates back.:grouphug: Including myself.

and a list off PPD and Watts...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31287

Last edited:
While I can't give aggregate data on my power consumption, I know I'm over 2k Watts to push around 30M PPD out the door. Those are mostly 2080TIs and some 2070s at work.

While I can't give aggregate data on my power consumption, I know I'm over 2k Watts to push around 30M PPD out the door. Those are mostly 2080TIs and some 2070s at work.

Wow, about thirty times the PPD / Watt from when I was folding. Nice numbers man!

WOW, a blast from the past. Hey Nate long time no fold :)

Hey! Yeah, it's been awhile. I was kinda surprised to see how long it's been.... Time flies.

Idle I'm at 200w.
Full load for folding about 875w. I reduce how many cores I use for Folding so I max out at about 777w. My UPS alarm starts going off at 850w and to step it up to a bigger UPS is a bit of a chunk of change.
Threadripper 3970X & Vega 64

RTX2070S -------------------- 1.745 Mil PPD (Project 11747)

Has something changed? Can it vary massively from one project to the next? the best I recall seeing is ~400,000 ppd and more often than not get projects closer to or below 200,000 ppd with my 2070S. just updated drivers and currently under 200,000 on project 11746. If my 2070S is doing 10x less work I probably need to fix something since HWI and everything suggest it's chugging along at full tilt.

**Edit** did some digging and apparently a passkey will make that much of a difference... Well at least I am currently doing the same amount of work. Also working on getting a passkey.

Last edited:
Has something changed? Can it vary massively from one project to the next? the best I recall seeing is ~400,000 ppd and more often than not get projects closer to or below 200,000 ppd with my 2070S. just updated drivers and currently under 200,000 on project 11746. If my 2070S is doing 10x less work I probably need to fix something since HWI and everything suggest it's chugging along at full tilt.

**Edit** did some digging and apparently a passkey will make that much of a difference... Well at least I am currently doing the same amount of work. Also working on getting a passkey.
Hurry up and get one...Folding without a passkey is like kissing your sister...:rain:;)

Would any of you mind applying this formula to your power draws for me?

formula.png

This would only work for instances when you are doing a CPU-only computation, or work.

The huge number in the numerator comes from the fact we are dividing by square millimeters instead of square meters, which would match the spec of the thermodynamic definition of the Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient. One millimeter is 1/1000th of a meter, so if we use square milliemeters for the die size in the denominator, we must "square 1000" in the numerator. Dividing by one millionth less is multiplying by a million.

The beauty of this equation is, it accounts for the different temperatures in our operating environment, and still returns a "fair number" to show how hard the heat removal solution is working. In a hotter environment, the CPU temperatures will also be hotter.

One small note: In the Thermodynamics World, we use degrees Kelvin. We can use degrees Celsius here without needing any conversion since we are taking the difference between the two temperatures, and the degrees Celsius climb as fast as degrees Kelvin.

A practical example:

A HRQ number for my Corsair H150i = (1000000)x(200 watts)/[(92C - 22 C) x (174 mm squared)] = 16420

HWMonitor displayed 200 watts the instant the core temperatures were 92C in a room temperature of 22C on the i9-9900KS with a die size of 174 square millimeters.

Plug those numbers into my HRQ equation, and you get the number by which you can judge the Corsair H150i's ability to remove heat.

Again, this is ONE DATA POINT and not an exact number everybody will get every single time. But it is a great way to measure your own system!

my [email protected] with A titan x pascal and RTX2060will pull, from the wall, 610-675 depending on the mix of work units, I don't fold on the cpu.

What MB do you have that 6800K in? I have 3 6800K's and using x99-designare ex for each cpu (see pic)
As for how much power I'm using with 7 PC's and 11 GPU's (9 GTX 1080, 2 RTX 2080S) I have no idea, it is a boat load I'm sure :rofl:

Gigabyte-X99-Designare-EX_2.jpg

I get 9537.946
cpu temp- room temp= 54.5
cpu die size=246.24
cup watt draw= 128

yes that's the board.

Welcome back computek! ...and here I was thinking I was going to gain some ground on you but your hardware > than mine.

Finally got it after giving up on my primary email address and trying a secondary one. Now I've got those sweet numbers. going to make my 3m over a few weeks look about as much like child's play as my first day of folding did to my years of folding way back when.
Either way it meets the goal of hopefully helping in the long run... or short run, i'm certainly OK with this bringing positive news quickly right now.

Hey Harlam, It's been a long time! I will probably slow down as it gets warmer here in the midwest. I just wanted to hit that billion mark before it got hot outside.

Was working on a Ryzen 5 1600x for someone and it had a GTX1080TI 11GB so I ran it for a day to see the wattage.

AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600x
MSI B350 PC Mate
16gb PC4
2.5 SSD
ASUS Strix GTX1080TI 11GB

Running Win10 Pro - Latest Nvidia driver 445.87

Sitting at desktop idle --------------- 56 watts
Folding on GTX1080TI only ---------- 280 - 325 watts (depending on WU)

PPD 1.25 - 1.45 million PPD (depending on WU)

Back