• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WCing a SFF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, my next system is prolly gonna be a WCed SFF with a HC crammed in somewhere. Ill use either a torin or something like this for airflow.
http://www.nexfan.com/nexfan03/evpecoairco.html
No need for shrouds, that little shoebox of a computer is a shround.

Yea thats why I was recommending the top mounted HC, that is prolly what I will shoot for.

Of coarse my next system will wait untill I get PCI express and ddr2.

Last edited:
OK, so I took a look inside, I could probably fit a 92mm fan/rad/HC inside, but nothing more. I dont want to mod the outside of the box especially something on top.

I'm not looking for supreme results just decent temps.

anyway, I will keep looking, maybe it will have to be the BIM

Twill

Well, I used a BIM, and an 80mm->120mm adapter on the back. Could have used an 80*15 fan and kept it internal, but the cooling wouldn't have been very good...

Now, I didn't use a very good block, changig that ancient one would have help my temps. Because I didn't really get an improvement in temperture..

Take a look here

So you just cooled the CPU or the chipset as well. I noticed no gpu in there.

Do you think the BIM was a limiting factor at all or just the block?
Would the BIM handle another component on there?

Do you use a t-line, closed loop, res, what?

Anyway, thanks for the good news. I would probably go with a 92mm on the back and an 80 mm on the inside, one pushing one pulling. better pressure, better fit, same noise :)

Thanks

Twill

twill you consider using a laptop optical drive? with an adaptor for more room?

Yes, I have considered using laptop components several times. Not for space issues however. Freeing up space at the drive cage side of the computer wont do much good because of the layout of the case. Gaining back that space would provide only a minimal gain...at a maximum price. Laptop components are expensive and I would rather not go down that path if not neccessary. This would be an expensive enough proposition without that added cost...and with probably relatively minor gains in temperature.

it looks as tho I am leaning more and more towards the BIM unless someone knows a HC or rad that is the size of a 92mm fan :)

Twill

Just the CPU cooled.. And a big limiting factor was my tubing! It's tiny, and the block is meant for more flow than what is running through it.

And the BIM should survive some more load.

Oh, and it's a t-line in there. That also limits performance, sine it's made with copper pipies with an OD of 7mm. Maybe 5mm ID? Tiny, anyway..

Back