• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weather cooled down - my Barton is sporting 2.5 GHz again. All right!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol, summer goes and o/c returns, you need your own weather system in your pc c627627, might i recommend a VapoLi by Jinu, he's back up and running

as an owner of one, lovin it, as my sig shows ;)

i'm almost at decision time myself, and that X2 5000+ BE, with it's unlocked multi's, is calling my name..... that with a good AM2+ mobo, and i can just sit back on known good tech, while the quads mature, then just upgrade cpu....

If you still have an Athlon XP then why don't you just jump up to dual core Opty's or something? They overclock like crazy and will definitely blow out your rig. Dual Opty with the 10x multi goes for $120 shipped from the egg. Plus you can still use you DDR.

Don't chase tech, let tech find you.
lol. I have a multi boot system, it takes me days & days to set up drive image files for OS partitions which I reimage all the time. So I held off upgrading because once I get a chipset, I get the same chipset for Friends & Family, then just drive image their systems when I install 7 fix stuff on mine. nForce2 was the chipset to get to last this long.

12 months from now Intel will release brand new architecture to house Nehalem. That's when I thought of making the jump. That or AMD Bulldozer.

However, new architecture, new bugs and the current Intel P35 is very mature so I thought of maybe making the jump when 45nm dual core Intel is released in Jan 2008.

Money is not the issue because I watch hot deals come & go. Here's one, look: $69 this week:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA23929&RSKU=BA23929

For an Abit board that does this:
I've seen reports about the Abit IP35 Pro's inability to remain stable with four sticks of RAM north of 510MHz. Fortunately, the Abit IP35-E has no problem running four sticks of Kingston DDR2 800 "N5 OEM" up to 564MHz (DDR2 1128 with 1:1.50 memory divider). Timing is set at 5-5-5-15-2T with 2.1Vdimm. System is Orthos and Memtest86 stable.

as reported here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=2063989&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=1

lol, summer goes and o/c returns, you need your own weather system in your pc c627627, might i recommend a VapoLi by Jinu, he's back up and running

as an owner of one, lovin it, as my sig shows ;)

i'm almost at decision time myself, and that X2 5000+ BE, with it's unlocked multi's, is calling my name..... that with a good AM2+ mobo, and i can just sit back on known good tech, while the quads mature, then just upgrade cpu....

What's a VapoLi by Jinu? Intel got AMD beat until Bulldozer arrives in 2009 so I made the decision not to go AMD before then.

Still holding on to that trusty barton I see ;)
I had to make the jump as running Winavi as often as I do was just completely hogging the entire cpu resource for hours on end!
Gigabyte Aurora 3D case
Abit IP35 Pro
Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 with Silverstone 2200 rpm 120mm Fan
1.3125 Vcore (stock and lowest it can go on my mobo)
Gigabyte 8600 GT
2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400
Seagate Enterprise Barracuda 500GB Sata 3.0
Silverstone 650W PSU
17' Dell LCD

Went the Abit way instead of Asus? I like the dual PS/2 connectors Abit has vs. Asus having just one. :) The other day I was talking to Gautam about Abit vs. Asus:

Gautam said:
Intel includes a vdroop as part of the spec and requires motherboard manufacturers to implement it. The droop reduces the vcore when the CPU goes under load. This is set in place to reduce power consumption and heat dissipation, but it can become a nuisance for overclockers. Therefore all motherboards more or less have it. Early last year Asus took one of their workstation boards and removed its droop. A couple of months later, Intel presumably didn't like this, and BIOS updates came out which made it start drooping again. I guess now they've struck a compromise and just put it as an option to disable it in BIOS.

For most other boards though you need to do a hardware mod to remove the droop.

Also there was some other talk about Abit being great but sometimes not clocking as high as Asus.

1. Is there a modded BIOS for Abit that disables voltage droop?
2. What did you find when researching Abit vs. Asus?
3. You went with a Silverstone PSU, what PSUs do you like these days?
4. Why the low voltage, don't you want to crank it up? :)

What's a VapoLi by Jinu? Intel got AMD beat until Bulldozer arrives in 2009 so I made the decision not to go AMD before then.

Type3Side1.JPG

Front%20test.JPG

best reached here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=3199 , but he is a part of these forums as well

this would be mine :D
picture022lo4.jpg

Went the Abit way instead of Asus? I like the dual PS/2 connectors Abit has vs. Asus having just one. :) The other day I was talking to Gautam about Abit vs. Asus:

Also there was some other talk about Abit being great but sometimes not clocking as high as Asus.

1. Is there a modded BIOS for Abit that disables voltage droop?
2. What did you find when researching Abit vs. Asus?
3. You went with a Silverstone PSU, what PSUs do you like these days?
4. Why the low voltage, don't you want to crank it up? :)

There is no modded bios yet for the Abit however I guess I could simply up the vcore to compensate.
To be honest I had read the extensive reviews on this mobo and was very impressed and being a creature of habit and being more than happy with my AMD Abit mobo, stuck with them.
Silverstone similarly had excellent reviews and seemed good value for money and there were not too many high end psus readily available here in Malaysia.
Well the voltage is default and with a small amount of vdroop the latest cpu-z shows the actual as 1.29v - no desire yet to go further as I am using the system 24/7 for torrenting and subsequent video conversion (to dvd format) - the frame rate formatting using winavi for this quad is over 4 times more than my cherished Barton so more than happy!

Thanks. I haven't really started looking into it but definitely let me know if you come across any voltage droop Abit mods.

Sure sounds like you got a great jump from your nForce2 :).

Back