• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musawi

hey guys my friends got a problem
"i was OC'ing yetserday, and decided to try upping my volts...
i set the fsb to 243 on my cpu, with stock volts and it was all good, then i kept pushing, making sure itll post, and i got to 253, but i KNEW it would restart on me wen i prime, so i primed, and it restarted, as i thought it would do... so i went into the bios, and changed my CPU volts to 1.55
wen i did that, it wouldnt boot windows... the loading appeared, then it ddnt startup, just froze at the welcome screen, i tried 1.5750 also, but no luck...

wen i went back to 1.5250 it loaded, and again, restarted wen priming...

i thought that increasing the volts should make it more stable... anyone got any idea wats goign on?"

I think its his PSU which is a cheapo 500W psu with little amps on the 12v line.

musawi said:
hey guys my friends got a problem
"i was OC'ing yetserday, and decided to try upping my volts...
i set the fsb to 243 on my cpu, with stock volts and it was all good, then i kept pushing, making sure itll post, and i got to 253, but i KNEW it would restart on me wen i prime, so i primed, and it restarted, as i thought it would do... so i went into the bios, and changed my CPU volts to 1.55
wen i did that, it wouldnt boot windows... the loading appeared, then it ddnt startup, just froze at the welcome screen, i tried 1.5750 also, but no luck...

wen i went back to 1.5250 it loaded, and again, restarted wen priming...

i thought that increasing the volts should make it more stable... anyone got any idea wats goign on?"

I think its his PSU which is a cheapo 500W psu with little amps on the 12v line.

I think you answered your own question...
:)

hey, thats my problem guys, but ddtn have a chance to write up about it...

so u think its the +12v line from my PSU?

thats y its messing up wen im increasing the volts?

I told him it was his PSU but he wouldnt listen.

Any guys thanks for making sure waht the problem was.

musawi said:
I told him it was his PSU but he wouldnt listen.

Any guys thanks for making sure waht the problem was.

So when looking for a PSU (I'm upgrading in the near future), not only do I want one with high wattage but one with a strong 12v rail? My 2.6g won't oc much on my intel board. Need a new one of those too...

12v rail gets cained on p4`s when overclocked and vcore upped.
I have a cheap 550w psu with a 12v 32amp rail and its 12.2v at idle and drops to 11.7v underload when im overclocked and i can hear my cpu fan changed pitch underfull load.

Sounds much like my own problems...

Hmm.. that "up the voltage no boot" problem sounds awfully like my own problem with an Abit IC7-Max3. In my case it is/was a defective MB.
(see this forum "Man.. I feel like a newbie" thread)

I have gone through TWO abit IC7-MAX3 boards with the same defect, when I hit 1.65 and up in bios (about 1.58V in reality) the chip refuses to boot.

I tested the whole rig in another MB and it overclocks and overvolts fine.
(Except when I do 1.75V on cpu according to MBM and hit +60C it locks up on me)

Well, it doesnt hurt to check the +12V rail either. Install Motherboard monitor and look at the +12V rail. Overvolt/clock the cpu so far that you still are able to boot into windows.
Set MBM to 1sec interval monitoring.

If the +12V rail is at 11.5V and above you shouldnt have any problem at all.
If you see any really deep dips(down to +9V or so) then the powersupply is probaly overloading.

I have run dozens of tests and benchies and Prime95 on a P4 1.8G @ 2.4G running with a +12V rail at 10.87-11.00V with NO PROBLEMS.

Back