• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well my 1000W Silverstone crapped out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homore

So I bought a SST-ST1000 PSU 3 years ago, because well...it was pretty awesome and I wanted something awesomely efficient, reliable and future proofed. Well...it's 8 months out of warranty and the 12v rail died. I emailed them if they could service it and I would pay a fee. They emailed me back and said they do not do repairs so I'm SOL. Although I've been in the custom PC game for 15 years now and am aware that things like this happen I can't help but feeling disappointed. My OCZ Powerstream 420W (OCZ's first entry in the PSU market back in the day) is pushing 9 years and still runs stong and at 76% efficiency and it wasn't even a "flagship". But here is Silverstone's flagship that spent 3 years running only 35-40% load and it's already lost it's 12v rail.

But anyways enough of my crying. Time to shop. Can you guys help me out?

Here are my criteria:
Reliability
Efficiency(looking for 80Gold or Plat)
Warranty

What I'm running
i7 4770k
16GB (2x8GB)
R9 290X
2xSSD's
6xHDD's
1xODD
Full watercooling loop
8x120mm fan
1x140mm fan
1x200mm fan
1x240mm fan

Things I'll be adding in soon:
Another R9 290x
A second water cooling loop
more fans for the second loop

Overclocking will be done.

Soooooo any recommendations?

Looking at this one: http://en.ofweek.com/Power-Supplies-102216

Same price as what I paid for the silverstone 3 years ago but a 10 yr warranty and now it's 80Platium now.

Any other recommendations will be appreciated.

Well sounds crappy, as always, im going to say Corsair AX1200, you get 5 years warranty.

I would stick to Seasonic, Corsair, Coolermaster for PSU, i bet there are more worth while brands of course.

I love my AX1200, never had any issues with AX750, or any of my other Corsair PSU's.

homore, electronics go bad and it sucks when they do, luckily the Psu didn't take anything out with it. Anyhow you really don't need more then a 850w Psu but it's your choice. We have a Psu section you can look through for tested and trusted units. If you want quality Seasonic and Super Flower are the way to go. The link you posted doesn't take me to a direct unit. You can also look on the back of a unit you're considering, there is a UL number. You can plug that number into this webpage to see who makes the unit you're considering.

This when its back in stock as this happens to be the best price as far as one can judge.

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256082

doubt the op is going to buy another silverstone Aj :D.

You can report the thread for the moderators by using the "!" found in the first (and any) post, note. I reported it to be moved. :)

As far as the OP is concerned, a quality 750W unit will easily run that rig silently. :)

This would be my PSU of choice...(Corsair 760i): Platinum, 760W, 7 year warranty. Everything you need and a lot cheaper than any quality KW PSU. :)

I would stick to Seasonic, Corsair, Coolermaster for PSU, i bet there are more worth while brands of course.
Coolermaster is hit or miss... Id put Antec there well before CM.

Last edited:
Did you pay with an American Express or Visa credit card? That almost always means an extra year of protection for an original 1-3 year warranty.

Check the diode pack(s) or MOSFETs connected to the +12V. If the +12V filter uses Teapo brand caps, replace them with something Japanese. OTOH if some of the brown Japanese caps say "KZG" on them, replace them, too, with something different.

If you are going to suggest people poke around inside a PSU (when the reality is 99% of people should not be inside of one) at least give a disclaimer on how dangerous this practice can be.

Just get a new PSU OP. There is not reason to be poking around inside your PSU, really.

If you are going to suggest people poke around inside a PSU (when the reality is 99% of people should not be inside of one) at least give a disclaimer on how dangerous this practice can be.

Just get a new PSU OP. There is not reason to be poking around inside your PSU, really.
+1 Opening up a PSU should not be done by the average Joe. Suggesting someone do so without cautioning them that they could be severely shocked by the unit even with it unplugged, is irresponsible.

But if I give a disclaimer, they'll be more likely to live.

I agree that 99% of the people shouldn't open up their PSUs, but I've found that a lot of people will dare danger anyway, so they may as well get some pointers in the right direction. At the very least they shouldn't just toss the dead PSU but instead give it to somebody who knows how to fix these things.

I said check the big diodes and MOSFETs, and anybody who knows how to do that knows the dangers of high voltage and how to avoid them, while people who don't know the procedures are going to ask about the diodes and MOSFETs before trying any fix.

Last edited:
If you don't want to open it, at least put it up on Craigslist as a broken unit. Someone will buy it.

Back