• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wey hey ready to swap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevvy

hi chaps, well after a long wait i,ve got all my bits together, amd fx 8350. and noctua nt-h1 paste, so im ready to swap, as i built my pc from scratch , have,nt had to swap cpu, so is it just once i,ve swapped the cpu ,i just clear cmos just with power conected ,and go into bios and boot from c drive ?? so looking forward to try and get my head round ocing. will be swapping tomorrow morning, as the light is fading here, and i like to do swap in natural light, as to many shadows with the light on. thankyou all in advance, :)

With the CHV-Z I have to have the power on for the machine, then push and hold the button on the back panel for 10 seconds or so. Then just start up as normal. It'll have you go to bios for setup. You can set your ram now if you like and HDD priorities. Windows might want to re-start as well. Then you can start your overclocking again.

Pretty sure the CMOS clr is still on the back panel though, correct?

yes it is johan, just wanted to let you know it was,nt a z, i think the v is still good motherboard tho, just a quick question, is it better to spread the paste thinly or put a pea size bit and tighten down, i spread it with a credit card last time, :)

You guys are not considering doing a CMOS clear with power to the board are you? That has always been a no no.

AFIK Trents that's the only way it works on my CHV_Z. I thought the switch was a dud at first but discovered the power had to be on. It's one of the convenience buttons on the back panel.

should i just take the battery out for a while then :)

Nope, take my word for it. Trents is correct when you're using jumpers for clearing but with the back panel button it won't work unless the board has power. When you push it, the power will shutdown on it's on . Hold it for at least 3secs and let go the power will come back on and you're ready to start up, just hit the power button and it'll start with a clear BIOS.

Freeken CrapOla...

...sadly I never seem to get it thru my head that I cannot or no longer can remember every thing.

Some months ago I happened across a post about flashing bios on some of these later digital/analog combo motherboards. This VRM setup is what Asus is using for certain on their SaberKitty and CHV boards. Anyway what I saw was the difference in a CMOS clearing of old with a jumper and how these new clear CMOS buttons operate. Something about a Digital Engine I think the term was that was now used in volts settings and a couple of other things. Dang wish I could find that link. Just looked again for 30 mins. The things I look for so often and see but never can get back to are the stuff that is seen very very seldom.

Let me say it this way. There is no harm to DigiKeyVRM boards by Asus if you leave the power supply oN supplying +5V standbye power too the mobo. H*ll you can even leave the mobo running on a CHV z and non-z and push the Clear CMOS button and it will work fine. They have done the CHV 's this way to work around the fact that when on LN2 and runny helium, often the Reset button will not work and to push the power button on board and hold for 4 secs can send the board into S5 state and not shutdown.

So there are changes at least in Asus land. Maybe others with move to hybrid digi/analog VRMs.

Plus you could turn off the power supply and remove the battery and press the Clear CMOS switch and all that now unnecessary stuffs. This might mean the board needs a couple of boots to get its shett back together. Hehehe. I have tried them all. I now only press the Clear CMOS button with +5V standbye to the mobo and no problems at all.
RGone...ster.

thankyou RGone, slightly of subject but to do with ocing the 8350, have you seen this,
, that alot of ocing from a 8350, but the machine is out of the case so i would assume the temps are wrong :)

I didn't check the temps but there was no load on that CPU at the 5.5G he was showing. That makes the biggest difference. I validated my 9370 at 6.0 with cold water but there was no way it could do anything useful. I barely manged to save the validation file before it crashed. I can tell you one thing for certain he wasn't running P95 on that machine, I don't care how good his fan was.

Nope, take my word for it. Trents is correct when you're using jumpers for clearing but with the back panel button it won't work unless the board has power. When you push it, the power will shutdown on it's on . Hold it for at least 3secs and let go the power will come back on and you're ready to start up, just hit the power button and it'll start with a clear BIOS.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification.

Back