• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are AMD's GPU plans for the future?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

It seems to me that R9 Fury X despite it's shiny new memory tech has been a letdown or at least already convincingly beat out by Nvidia's Titan X and 980Ti series according to the Guru3d benchies. What's really suprising is I've even seen benchies (Bioshock Infinite, Thief 2014, Witcher III) that have Nvidia single GPU cards beating out the R9 295x2 (also at Guru3d).

Does AMD have some sort of GPU roadmap for what it's future plans are? Do they have any plans to take the single GPU card perf. crown from Nvidia (I hope)?

The Fury and Nano cards use High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) which is good at moving large amounts of data in memory very quickly, but slow at moving small amounts of data. This ability becomes more useful as the resolutions gets higher. This was the reason the AMD cards became more competitive as the resolution increases. Unfortunately, since HBM is new technology it is currently limited to 4GB (graphic cards aimed at 4K gaming probably need 4GB of gRAM, maybe more to be effective). The new AMD cards also were a disappointment because nobody has found a way to significantly overclock them.

Here are some of the things to keep an eye out for in AMD's future.

A good start would be to read up about High Bandwidth Memory 2 (HBM2). It seems that this AMD invention is so good that even Nvidia has plans to license it and use it in upcoming graphic cards. AMD also seems to be ahead of Nvidia is terms of DirectX 12 compatibility, which might change by the time that DirectX 12 has any relevance to users. Also it seems that Intel has stated that in the future their CPU built-in graphic processors would support FreeSync, just like AMD graphic cards. I also heard that AMD has separated the graphic card division from the rest of the company so that they can better focus on competing with Nvidia.

Back