• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are these lights w/ 1/8" plug jacks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I garbage-picked 2 of these from outside an audio/video store and I don't know what they are, or if I can incorporate them into my pooter, or on the outside.

On the one end is a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) mono headphone type jack, and on the other end comes two wires, plastic wrapped wire, which lead to corresponding bulbs. I don't even know what you call these type of bulbs. They are clear cases, about 1/4" wide by 1/4" long, std. U shaped lenses, and they are mounted at the end of the wires in a black plastic housing, and in the product baggys is a supplied length of 2-sided tape to stick the housings down. Near the plug end the wire is wrapped around what looks like those magnetic shieling blocks, but the wire itself is looped around and there is a shrink-wrapped plastic wrap; no switch or anything.

They must have come with an audio/video product and were not needed. Any ideas what I have.

I have a SoundBlaster Live5.1 sound card, and other than that I am curious if there is any way to get these things connected, lit up, or if they blink, or what!?

Sorry not at the moment. The wires (currently twist-tied) are maybe 10 feet long. So, 2 jacks, 4 lights, though they are mono jacks.

They might even be some kind of input sensors. I get the feeling they do in-home installations there, and people just want what they want. I have got a lot of decent stuff from their garbage, mostly cables, even re-stocked my workshop with screws. Maybe I'll ask them, but I didn't make the mess!

Deadbot1_1973 said:
Sound like IR reciever/transmitters to me. These used to be used in some older setups for DirectTV to control and get info from vcr's and such.

edit...after rereading the desciption...they might also be ir transmitters for an older style wireless speaker setup.

Sounds reasonable.

Back